-   -   web browser in icedove (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/95338-web-browser-icedove.html)

Ron Johnson 05-26-2008 12:41 AM

web browser in icedove

Marcelo Chiapparini 05-26-2008 01:52 PM

web browser in icedove

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 05/25/08 17:01, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:

Hello,

I am using etch + gnome desktop, icedove for mail and iceweasel as the
default web browser. Icedove is using epiphany as the web browser for
open urls inside emails. I want to set iceweasel for it. How can I do
that? I search the configuration options of icedove and googled a bit
without successes.

System->Preferences->"Preferred Applications"

Ron, in fact this was the way I used to define Iceweasel as the default
browser of my system. But Icedove continues to ignore it, and uses
epiphany...

--
Marcelo Chiapparini

Florian Kulzer 05-26-2008 04:14 PM

web browser in icedove

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 10:52:53 -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 05/25/08 17:01, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am using etch + gnome desktop, icedove for mail and iceweasel as the
>>> default web browser. Icedove is using epiphany as the web browser for
>>> open urls inside emails. I want to set iceweasel for it. How can I do
>>> that? I search the configuration options of icedove and googled a bit
>>> without successes.
>>
>> System->Preferences->"Preferred Applications"
>
> Ron, in fact this was the way I used to define Iceweasel as the default
> browser of my system. But Icedove continues to ignore it, and uses
> epiphany...

Check the network.protocol-handler.app.http(s) setting of icedove:

Florian |

Marcelo Chiapparini 05-27-2008 10:44 AM

web browser in icedove

Florian Kulzer wrote:

I am using etch + gnome desktop, icedove for mail and iceweasel as the
default web browser. Icedove is using epiphany as the web browser for
open urls inside emails. I want to set iceweasel for it. How can I do
that? I search the configuration options of icedove and googled a bit
without successes.

System->Preferences->"Preferred Applications"
Ron, in fact this was the way I used to define Iceweasel as the default
browser of my system. But Icedove continues to ignore it, and uses
epiphany...

Check the network.protocol-handler.app.http(s) setting of icedove:

Florian,

I checked and changed the values of

network.protocol-handler.app.http(s)

form "x-www-browser" to "iceweasel". Now icedove opens urls with
iceweasel, as I want. Thank you very much for the help.

Regards
Marcelo

--
Marcelo Chiapparini

Andrei Popescu 05-27-2008 02:00 PM

web browser in icedove

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 07:44:52AM -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:

> I checked and changed the values of
>
> network.protocol-handler.app.http(s)
>
> form "x-www-browser" to "iceweasel". Now icedove opens urls with iceweasel,
> as I want. Thank you very much for the help.

IMO you should have changed where x-www-browser points to, so other
applications also use iceweasel. The magic incantation (as root) is

update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

and you are presented with a list to choose from.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Marcelo Chiapparini 05-27-2008 07:31 PM

web browser in icedove

Andrei Popescu wrote:

form "x-www-browser" to "iceweasel". Now icedove opens urls with iceweasel,
as I want. Thank you very much for the help.

IMO you should have changed where x-www-browser points to, so other
applications also use iceweasel. The magic incantation (as root) is

update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

and you are presented with a list to choose from.

Regards,
Andrei

Andrei,

thank you very much for your suggestion. In fact, this is a very elegant
solution! I implemented it and works fine.

Regards

Marcelo

--
Marcelo Chiapparini

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi 05-28-2008 02:15 PM

web browser in icedove

Andrei Popescu wrote:

> The magic incantation (as root) is

Excellent choice of words! All 'root users' are wizards and Linux
is 'magic'! All the new students have to come through the platform 9 3/4,
take Hogwarts express to reach the Hogwart School of Witchcraft and
Wizardry (mailing lists). Hmmmm.... Any Harry Potter fans out there?

> update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

Wingardium Leviosa
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Marc Shapiro 05-29-2008 03:12 AM

web browser in icedove

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:

Andrei Popescu wrote:

The magic incantation (as root) is

Excellent choice of words! All 'root users' are wizards and Linux
is 'magic'! All the new students have to come through the platform 9 3/4,
take Hogwarts express to reach the Hogwart School of Witchcraft and
Wizardry (mailing lists). Hmmmm.... Any Harry Potter fans out there?

update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

Wingardium Leviosa
raju

Muffliato!

But of course. I have read them all and have worked my way up to
"Deathly Hallows" on the unabridged CD's, which I listen to on my way to
and from work.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com