Old 05-26-2008, 12:05 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

Default Fetchmail

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 12:17:07AM +0300, Tero M?ntyvaara wrote:
> How do I set fetchmail to automatically fetch mails of all user? Every
> user have to give command fetchmail -a at the moment to get their mails.

Well, you have to enable the fetchmail system-wide daemon in
/etc/default/fetchmail

Then you have to edit the /etc/fetchmailrc

Mine has:

poll pop.porchlight.ca with protocol pop3
user 'dtutty' there with password 'XXXXX' is 'dtutty' here

For additional external email addresses (assuming each local user has
their own), you just add more user lines.

I'm on dialup and find that fetchmail doesn't try-restart or other magic
correctly, so I altered /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/fetchmail to just
/etc/init.d/fetchmail restart

If you are on the internet long-term, some have reported that fetchmail
forgets to wake up. In that case, you could have a cron job that
restarts fetchmail every hour or so (depending on how long it takes to
go into a coma).

Good luck.

Doug.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:39 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 05-26-2008, 07:14 AM
Patricia Fraser

Old 05-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Tero Mäntyvaara

Hi!

I have modified also the files /etc/default/fetchmail and
/etc/fetchmailrc but I don't know which parameter affects to which
function. Anyway the file .fetchmailrc and user daemon are the solutions
that I was looking for. I had put that "set daemon nnn" in
.fetchmailrc, but it didn't work. :-(

What should I put in files /etc/default/fetchmail and /etc/fetchmailrc then?

Tero Mäntyvaara

Patricia Fraser wrote:

Hi Tero,

How do I set fetchmail to automatically fetch mails of all user?
Every user have to give command fetchmail -a at the moment to get
their mails.

Unless you want to use a system-wide fetchmail, you can put a line in
each user's .fetchmailrc:

set daemon nnn

where "nnn" is the number of seconds between polls - I have mine set at
900. They can then use "fetchmail -q" to shut the daemon down.

Cheers,

Old 05-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Jamie Griffin

In my /etc/default/fetchmail file i have simply changed the variable
to "SET_DAEMON=yes"

This gives a default value of 600 seconds i believe. Should you be happy
with this you would not not need to set a daemon value.

However, if you wish to set daemon to a different value, in the
/etc/fetchmailr you can add 'set daemon 300' or to however frequently you need it to poll the server.

I use exactly this method and it works perfectly.

HTH, jamie
On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 01:42:45PM +0300, Tero Mäntyvaara wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have modified also the files /etc/default/fetchmail and
> /etc/fetchmailrc but I don't know which parameter affects to which
> function. Anyway the file .fetchmailrc and user daemon are the solutions
> that I was looking for. I had put that "set daemon nnn" in
> .fetchmailrc, but it didn't work. :-(
>
> What should I put in files /etc/default/fetchmail and /etc/fetchmailrc then?
>

> Tero Mäntyvaara
>
> Patricia Fraser wrote:
>> Hi Tero,
>>
>>> How do I set fetchmail to automatically fetch mails of all user?
>>> Every user have to give command fetchmail -a at the moment to get
>>> their mails.
>>
>> Unless you want to use a system-wide fetchmail, you can put a line in
>> each user's .fetchmailrc:
>>
>> set daemon nnn
>>
>> where "nnn" is the number of seconds between polls - I have mine set at
>> 900. They can then use "fetchmail -q" to shut the daemon down.
>>
>> Cheers,

Jamie.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Tero Mäntyvaara

So if I put "SET_DAEMON=yes" to /etc/default/fetchmail and other needed
parameters to .fetchmailrc then daemon should start for every user that
has .fetchmailrc file?

Tero Mäntyvaara

Jamie Griffin wrote:

[...]

Hi Tero,

Old 05-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Christopher Judd

On Tuesday 27 May 2008, Tero Mäntyvaara wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have modified also the files /etc/default/fetchmail and
> /etc/fetchmailrc but I don't know which parameter affects to which
> function. Anyway the file .fetchmailrc and user daemon are the
> solutions that I was looking for. I had put that "set daemon nnn" in
> .fetchmailrc, but it didn't work. :-(
>
> What should I put in files /etc/default/fetchmail and
> /etc/fetchmailrc then?
>

> Tero Mäntyvaara
>
> Patricia Fraser wrote:
> > Hi Tero,
> >
> >> How do I set fetchmail to automatically fetch mails of all user?
> >> Every user have to give command fetchmail -a at the moment to get
> >> their mails.
> >
> > Unless you want to use a system-wide fetchmail, you can put a line
> > in each user's .fetchmailrc:
> >
> > set daemon nnn
> >
> > where "nnn" is the number of seconds between polls - I have mine
> > set at 900. They can then use "fetchmail -q" to shut the daemon
> > down.
> >
> > Cheers,

What happens if you run (as root) /etc/init.d/fetchmail start (or
restart)?

-Chris

| Christopher Judd, Ph. D. judd@wadsworth.org |

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. It
is intended only for the addressee. If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments. Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Jamie Griffin

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 03:59:55PM +0300, Tero Mäntyvaara wrote:
> So if I put "SET_DAEMON=yes" to /etc/default/fetchmail and other needed
> parameters to .fetchmailrc then daemon should start for every user that
> has .fetchmailrc file?
>

> Tero Mäntyvaara
>
> Jamie Griffin wrote:
>> In my /etc/default/fetchmail file i have simply changed the variable
>> to "SET_DAEMON=yes"
>>
>> This gives a default value of 600 seconds i believe. Should you be happy
>> with this you would not not need to set a daemon value.
>>
>> However, if you wish to set daemon to a different value, in the
>> /etc/fetchmailr you can add 'set daemon 300' or to however frequently
>> you need it to poll the server.
>>
>> I use exactly this method and it works perfectly.
>>
>> HTH, jamie
>> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 01:42:45PM +0300, Tero Mäntyvaara wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I have modified also the files /etc/default/fetchmail and
>>> /etc/fetchmailrc but I don't know which parameter affects to which
>>> function. Anyway the file .fetchmailrc and user daemon are the
>>> solutions that I was looking for. I had put that "set daemon nnn"
>>> in .fetchmailrc, but it didn't work. :-(
>>>
>>> What should I put in files /etc/default/fetchmail and /etc/fetchmailrc then?
>>>

>>> Tero Mäntyvaara

As this program is running as root and the configuration file is
system-wide the daemon will run at the specified number of seconds for all
users/accounts written within /etc/fetchmailrc.

If you're not using an LDA, such as procmail, your MTA should then
handle delivery to /var/spool/mail/$USER.

I currently only use this set up for myself as the single user on my
machine.

As Chris suggested, run /etc/init.d/fetchmail start to initiate the
daemon. It will then stop and start automatically on shutdown/boot
respectively. Check the maillogs to troubleshoot; they will confirm
what's happening.

Jamie

--
Jamie.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Tero Mäntyvaara

Christopher Judd wrote:

I have modified also the files /etc/default/fetchmail and
/etc/fetchmailrc but I don't know which parameter affects to which
function. Anyway the file .fetchmailrc and user daemon are the
solutions that I was looking for. I had put that "set daemon nnn" in
.fetchmailrc, but it didn't work. :-(

What should I put in files /etc/default/fetchmail and
/etc/fetchmailrc then?

Tero Mäntyvaara

Patricia Fraser wrote:

Hi Tero,

How do I set fetchmail to automatically fetch mails of all user?
Every user have to give command fetchmail -a at the moment to get
their mails.

Unless you want to use a system-wide fetchmail, you can put a line
in each user's .fetchmailrc:

set daemon nnn

where "nnn" is the number of seconds between polls - I have mine
set at 900. They can then use "fetchmail -q" to shut the daemon
down.

Cheers,

What happens if you run (as root) /etc/init.d/fetchmail start (or
restart)?

It goes like this:

# /etc/init.d/fetchmail restart
Restarting mail retriever agent: fetchmailfetchmail: no mailservers have
been specified.

failed!

Tero Mäntyvaara

Old 05-27-2008, 03:26 PM
Jamie Griffin

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 06:21:25PM +0300, Tero Mäntyvaara wrote:

> # /etc/init.d/fetchmail restart
> Restarting mail retriever agent: fetchmailfetchmail: no mailservers have
> been specified.
> failed!

Did you run it as root? and have you entered all the required info in
/etc/fetchmailrc?