Old 05-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Forsaken

Default ntop?

Hi there,

I have a question, and I apologize if this has been asked before, but a
search of the archives hasn't revealed the answer I'm looking for.

My question is in regards to ntop. The package description states thus -

ntop - display network usage in top-like format

That would seem to indicate that you would get a curses-type interface
showing network traffic details, instead of process stuff.

Indeed, when I install ntop as a package on OpenBSD, that's exactly
what I get.

OpenBSD is where I'm familiar with ntop, as that's what I've used as a
funnel point for all my network traffic in the past. Now I'm looking to
do the same thing with an etch box, and it seems that the only way to
interface with the debian version is via a web interface. (Please note
that I'm not seeking to start a holy war because of my mention of
OpenBSD, it's for exposition purposes only)

So my question is thus - is there just some switch I'm missing with the
debian package of ntop that will get me a nice curses-based display of
network traffic, or is the package description inaccurate?

Old 05-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 05-27-2008, 05:19 PM
"Todd A. Jacobs"

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 07:16:32AM -0400, Forsaken wrote:

> ntop - display network usage in top-like format

If you want curses, try iftop instead. "It Works for Me (tm)"

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"