Old 05-24-2008, 06:14 PM
"Bec Dridan"

Default Won't boot after dist-upgrade: mount: No such device

Hi,

I have just installed Debian on my new MacBook. After getting a basic
working testing system, I tried to dist-upgrade to unstable and now it
won't boot. It runs LILO, boots a 2.6.25-2-686 kernel and then can't
mount the root system.

I get:

mount: No such device
mount: No such file or directory

Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init
No init found. Try passing init= bootarg.

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

and then
(initramfs)

When I boot from the install CD in rescue mode, I can mount /dev/sda3
(my root partition) but since I am not sure what is wrong, I don't
know how to rescue it. I tried searching the archives but can't find
anything similar described. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Thanks,

Bec

(Please CC me, I am not subscribed.)

Old 05-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 02:14:08PM -0400, Bec Dridan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just installed Debian on my new MacBook. After getting a basic
> working testing system, I tried to dist-upgrade to unstable and now it
> won't boot. It runs LILO, boots a 2.6.25-2-686 kernel and then can't
> mount the root system.
>
> I get:
>
> mount: No such device
> mount: No such file or directory
>
> Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init
> No init found. Try passing init= bootarg.
>
> /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
>
> and then
> (initramfs)
>
> When I boot from the install CD in rescue mode, I can mount /dev/sda3
> (my root partition) but since I am not sure what is wrong, I don't
> know how to rescue it. I tried searching the archives but can't find
> anything similar described. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

It's possible that your device names have changed. You might try
editing fstab to mount by labels or disk-ids, rebuild your initrd and
try again. There are many posts in the archives here about using
disk-ids or labels...