-   -   How to set X not to hang after logoff (with fglrx) (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/94654-how-set-x-not-hang-after-logoff-fglrx.html)

Anthony Campbell 05-25-2008 07:55 AM

On 25 May 2008, Jabka Atu wrote:

> For some reason im unable to loggof after fresh install and using fglrx .
> when i try to log off of i get black screen and nothing except
> alt-sysrq works.

I had a similar experience on my Thinkpad Z61M but I found you could
still reboot with ctrl-alt-del, even thought the screen was blank. But I
have now changed to the radeonhd driver, which works for me although it
didn't previously.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
on-line books and sceptical articles)

Bob Cox 05-25-2008 08:21 AM

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 19:46:54 +0300, Jabka Atu (mashrom.head@gmail.com) wrote:

> For some reason im unable to loggof after fresh install and using fglrx .
> when i try to log off of i get black screen and nothing except
> alt-sysrq works.

I think I am seeing something similar to this. I used to be able to
cleanly shut this box down with a press of the power button, but now
leads to a situation very much as you describe. It is as if it is going
into laptop-type suspend state.

I thought no more about it because a 'shutdown -h now' works perfectly
and I rarely shut down anyway.

Thinking back, this behaviour only started after changing from 'ati' to
'fglrx' drivers (to fix a more serious problem, but that's another
story).

Some investigation leads me to suspect it is something to do with
/etc/acpi/fglrx-powermode.sh and the files fglrx-ac and fglrx-lid (which
presumably are very much to do with laptops - but this is not a laptop)
which are by-passed by a command line 'shutdown' but not a power button
press nor, presumably, a 'log off' - which you refer to.

Jabka Atu 05-25-2008 04:46 PM

How to set X not to hang after logoff (with fglrx)

For some reason im unable to loggof after fresh install and using fglrx .
when i try to log off of i get black screen and nothing except
alt-sysrq works.

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen" 0 0
Inputdevice "Touchpad"

EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us,il"
Option "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
Option "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device"
Driver "fglrx"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen"
Device "Device"
Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

- --
- --
Could you at least use man ?
Jabka Atu (aka mha13/Mashrom Head) || bsh83.blogspot.com
- --

Anthony Campbell 05-26-2008 09:55 AM

On 26 May 2008, Jabka Atu wrote:
> Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > On 25 May 2008, Jabka Atu wrote:
> >>
> >> For some reason im unable to loggof after fresh install and using fglrx .
> >> when i try to log off of i get black screen and nothing except
> >> alt-sysrq works.
> >>

> > I had a similar experience on my Thinkpad Z61M but I found you could
> > still reboot with ctrl-alt-del, even thought the screen was blank. But I
> > have now changed to the radeonhd driver, which works for me although it
> > didn't previously.
> >
> > Anthony
> >
> Could you please post your xorg.conf ?

> Could you at least use man ?
> Jabka Atu (aka mha13/Mashrom Head) || bsh83.blogspot.com
> --

# xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "MaxTapTime" "0"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
Option "SHMConfig" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Generic Video Card"
Driver "radeonhd"
# Driver "fglrx"
# Driver "ati"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Generic Monitor"
Option "DPMS"
# HorizSync 30-70
# VertRefresh 50-160
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Generic Video Card"
Monitor "Generic Monitor"
DefaultDepth 24
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection

Jabka Atu 05-26-2008 10:05 AM

Hamer13 05-26-2008 12:22 PM

On May 24, 7:50*pm, Jabka Atu <mashrom.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For some reason im unable to loggof after fresh install and using fglrx .
> when i try to log off of i get black screen and nothing except
> alt-sysrq works.

try to disable "atieventsd" daemon (/etc/init.d/atieventsd). simply
remove symlinks from /etc/rcX.d/ to this script, or in KDE system
preferences. on my notebook MSI S271 it is working.

"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso" 05-26-2008 02:20 PM

On 25/05/2008, Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
> But I
> have now changed to the radeonhd driver, which works for me although it
> didn't previously.

I don't have an ATI card, but free drivers for it are a big incentive
to buy one. Out of curiousity, how is that radeonhd driver working for
you? Would you recommend it or should I wait a little until it gets
more mature before buying?

Thanks,
- Jordi G. H.

Johannes Wiedersich 05-26-2008 04:52 PM

How to set X not to hang after logoff (with fglrx)

05-27-2008 09:38 AM

On May 26, 1:50 pm, Hamer13 <hamer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> try to disable "atieventsd" daemon (/etc/init.d/atieventsd). simply
> remove symlinks from /etc/rcX.d/ to this script, or in KDE system
> preferences. on my notebook MSI S271 it is working.

That's it. /etc/ati/authatieventsd.sh looks for an auth file in the
wrong place (wrong for some systems). If it doesn't find it it hangs
(excellent). There's a fix consisting in editing that script to make
it point at the right file. It doesn't work for me for I don't use a
desktop manager and I don't know how to change the lines that do the
check in case the server was started via startx. Temporal solution is
the same as you did.

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?p=33434