Old 05-26-2008, 12:29 AM
Hal Vaughan

Default apt-get joke

On Sunday 25 May 2008, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 01:49:18PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >
> > apt-get -b source wife
> >
> > is nice because you're not getting the binary... whatever that
> > means, but instead the source code required which can be easily
> > modified. THen you can build, test, modify to your heart's
> > desire. Though what you do with the builds that you don't want is a
> > problem. I'm sure glad my mk1mod0 wife doesn't read this
> > list... Though I'd not trade her for any flashy features that may
> > come in newer versions...
>
> Actually, since apparently one in five human genes is patented in the
> US, you may be breaking copyright if you use apt-get to get the
> source. To get around the patents, you'd have to go back in time and
> get two people to make your (to them, future) wife the old-fashioned
> pre-patent way. Of course, they'd have to brain-wash her so that by
> the time the present comes along, she will forgo all others and wait
> for (anticipate) and settle for you.
>

> Some of us believe that this happens already on our behalf and we get
> a better half upon which we can't apt-get update or upgrade.

Is that anything like if you know the ultimate answer to life, the
universe, and everything as well as the ultimate question, they'll
cancel each other out and it'll be replaced by something even stranger
and that this has likely already happened a number of times?

Hal

Old 05-26-2008, 05:41 AM

Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
ASW> apt-get -b source wife
ASW> problem. I'm sure glad my mk1mod0 wife doesn't read this
ASW> list... Though I'd not trade her for any flashy features that may come
ASW> in newer versions...

well, the newer versions may be flasher, but they're definitely
less stable. at the end of the day, i'd rather have a lover who's been
tested by the masses (& came out bug-free!) - & then installed on my
machine alone - than the newest version which may segfault on me at any
time...

lish "i'm sorry i punched you in the throat.
crank@got.net get up." -jerkcity

Old 05-26-2008, 06:10 AM
"Thomas X. Iverson"

On Monday 26 May 2008 13:41:56 i'll teach you to turn away. wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> ASW> apt-get -b source wife
> ASW> problem. I'm sure glad my mk1mod0 wife doesn't read this
> ASW> list... Though I'd not trade her for any flashy features that may come
> ASW> in newer versions...
>
> well, the newer versions may be flasher, but they're definitely
> less stable. at the end of the day, i'd rather have a lover who's been
> tested by the masses (& came out bug-free!) - & then installed on my
> machine alone - than the newest version which may segfault on me at any
> time...
>
> lish "i'm sorry i punched you in the throat.
> crank@got.net get up." -jerkcity

Just saw this joke days before , apt-get install wife
lots of dependencies and estimated installation time is 47 years , call for bugzilla !!! haha

--
Keep It Simple Stupid
http://blog.ghostunix.org

Old 05-26-2008, 03:05 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 08:29:30PM -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:

> > Some of us believe that this happens already on our behalf and we get
> > a better half upon which we can't apt-get update or upgrade.
>
> Is that anything like if you know the ultimate answer to life, the
> universe, and everything as well as the ultimate question, they'll
> cancel each other out and it'll be replaced by something even stranger
> and that this has likely already happened a number of times?

It is well with my soul.

Doug.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:26 AM
"s. keeling"