-   -   startx stopped working - xinit OK (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/94453-startx-stopped-working-xinit-ok.html)

Anthony Campbell 05-24-2008 06:32 AM

startx stopped working - xinit OK

I've been using startx to start X for as long as I've been using Linux -
about 10 years or more. Yesterday it stopped working, giving an error
message about "/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc - no such option". But xinit
runs as expected. This is on a laptop running Sid.

I know that startx is just a front end to xinit and is not essential but
I'd like to understand what is happening. I had just done a large
upgrade so perhaps something happened there; I'd also been experimenting
with sshfs.

Googling didn't produce much. I tried commenting out the lines in startx
that refer to xserverrc but then other errors appeared.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Perhaps I should submit a bug report.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
on-line books and sceptical articles)

Sven Joachim 05-24-2008 06:51 AM

On 2008-05-24 08:32 +0200, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> I've been using startx to start X for as long as I've been using Linux -
> about 10 years or more. Yesterday it stopped working, giving an error
> message about "/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc - no such option". But xinit
> runs as expected. This is on a laptop running Sid.
>
> I know that startx is just a front end to xinit and is not essential but
> I'd like to understand what is happening. I had just done a large
> upgrade so perhaps something happened there; I'd also been experimenting
> with sshfs.
>

> Googling didn't produce much. I tried commenting out the lines in startx
> that refer to xserverrc but then other errors appeared.

Google is not your best friend if you're running sid, the Debian BTS is:
http://bugs.debian.org/xinit

> Can anyone shed any light on this? Perhaps I should submit a bug report.

Not necessary, since it had already been reported twice, as you can see.

Sven

Anthony Campbell 05-24-2008 08:02 AM

On 24 May 2008, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2008-05-24 08:32 +0200, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>
> > I've been using startx to start X for as long as I've been using Linux -
> > about 10 years or more. Yesterday it stopped working, giving an error
> > message about "/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc - no such option". But xinit
> > runs as expected. This is on a laptop running Sid.
> >
> > I know that startx is just a front end to xinit and is not essential but
> > I'd like to understand what is happening. I had just done a large
> > upgrade so perhaps something happened there; I'd also been experimenting
> > with sshfs.
> >

> > Googling didn't produce much. I tried commenting out the lines in startx
> > that refer to xserverrc but then other errors appeared.
>
> Google is not your best friend if you're running sid, the Debian BTS is:
> http://bugs.debian.org/xinit
>
> > Can anyone shed any light on this? Perhaps I should submit a bug report.
>
> Not necessary, since it had already been reported twice, as you can see.
>
> Sven

Thanks for the pointer - I should have looked there first.

Anthony

Robin 05-24-2008 10:23 AM

startx stopped working - xinit OK

I've been using startx to start X for as long as I've been using Linux -

about 10 years or more. Yesterday it stopped working, giving an error

message about "/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc - no such option". But xinit

runs as expected. This is on a laptop running Sid.

I know that startx is just a front end to xinit and is not essential but

I'd like to understand what is happening. I had just done a large

upgrade so perhaps something happened there; I'd also been experimenting

with sshfs.

Googling didn't produce much. I tried commenting out the lines in startx

that refer to xserverrc but then other errors appeared.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Perhaps I should submit a bug report.

Anthony

A workaround: As well as commenting out the xserverrc lines in startx I created a $HOME/.xserverrc file, the contents copied from /etx/X11/xinit/xserverrc which works here on Sid-amd64. YMMV

--
rob

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=82BS4ZCMFR1

Michael Muster 05-24-2008 10:26 AM

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 07:32:22AM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> I've been using startx to start X for as long as I've been using Linux -
> about 10 years or more. Yesterday it stopped working, giving an error
> message about "/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc - no such option". But xinit
> runs as expected. This is on a laptop running Sid.
>
> I know that startx is just a front end to xinit and is not essential but
> I'd like to understand what is happening. I had just done a large
> upgrade so perhaps something happened there; I'd also been experimenting
> with sshfs.
>

> Googling didn't produce much. I tried commenting out the lines in startx
> that refer to xserverrc but then other errors appeared.
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this? Perhaps I should submit a bug report.
>
> Anthony

while this is fixed you can start xorg with startx -- :1
this works for me.

best regards,
Michael

Anthony Campbell 05-24-2008 12:44 PM

On 24 May 2008, Michael Muster wrote:
> On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 07:32:22AM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > I've been using startx to start X for as long as I've been using Linux -
> > about 10 years or more. Yesterday it stopped working, giving an error
> > message about "/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc - no such option". But xinit
> > runs as expected. This is on a laptop running Sid.
> >
> > I know that startx is just a front end to xinit and is not essential but
> > I'd like to understand what is happening. I had just done a large
> > upgrade so perhaps something happened there; I'd also been experimenting
> > with sshfs.
> >

> > Googling didn't produce much. I tried commenting out the lines in startx
> > that refer to xserverrc but then other errors appeared.
> >
> > Can anyone shed any light on this? Perhaps I should submit a bug report.
> >
> > Anthony
>
> while this is fixed you can start xorg with startx -- :1
> this works for me.
>
> best regards,
> Michael

Thanks to all for suggestions. I applied the fix given in the bug report
pointed to by Sven and this is working for me.

Anthony

Ron Johnson 05-24-2008 10:50 PM

startx stopped working - xinit OK