-   -   utilizing bluez-firmware without hotplug in Etch (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/94427-utilizing-bluez-firmware-without-hotplug-etch.html)

"Mumia W.." 05-24-2008 04:47 AM

utilizing bluez-firmware without hotplug in Etch

I have an Anycom USB-250 bluetooth adapter that has a Broadcomm chipset
(I think). Evidently, I need bluez-firmware get get the adapter to work
properly, and I've installed the package, but there are no instructions
on how to use data files in the package.

This is under Debian Etch / i386 with Linux 2.6.24.6.

/usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware/README contains useless, generic
compilation and installation instructions. README.Debian says that
hotplug is needed, but hotplug is no longer in Debian. If I try to
install Sarge's hotplug, aptitude wants to basically uninstall my O/S :-)

So hotplug is not an option with Etch. "Dpkg -L" gives me a look at
what's in the package:

/.
/usr
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/firmware
/usr/lib/firmware/BCM2033-MD.hex
/usr/lib/firmware/BCM2033-FW.bin
/usr/lib/firmware/STLC2500_R4_00_03.ptc
/usr/lib/firmware/STLC2500_R4_00_06.ssf
/usr/lib/firmware/STLC2500_R4_02_02_WLAN.ssf
/usr/lib/firmware/STLC2500_R4_02_04.ptc
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware
/usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware/BCM-LEGAL.txt
/usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware/README
/usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware/README.Debian
/usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware/copyright
/usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware/changelog.gz

I have no idea how to use the binary files in /usr/lib/firmware. Most
probably there is a command to upload the firmware or something like
that. Can anyone help me get my bluetooth adapter configured properly?

(I've also asked a question like this in bluez-users.)

Sven Joachim 05-24-2008 05:44 AM

On 2008-05-24 06:47 +0200, Mumia W.. wrote:

> I have an Anycom USB-250 bluetooth adapter that has a Broadcomm
> chipset (I think). Evidently, I need bluez-firmware get get the
> adapter to work properly, and I've installed the package, but there
> are no instructions on how to use data files in the package.

An up to date driver should load it automagically for you. See the info
in the Linux kernel under Documentation/firmware_class/README.

> This is under Debian Etch / i386 with Linux 2.6.24.6.
>
> /usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware/README contains useless, generic
> compilation and installation instructions. README.Debian says that
> hotplug is needed, but hotplug is no longer in Debian. If I try to
> install Sarge's hotplug, aptitude wants to basically uninstall my O/S
> :-)

Maybe the documentation is outdated, the package is not the newest. Most
probably udev will work.

> So hotplug is not an option with Etch. "Dpkg -L" gives me a look at
> what's in the package:
>
> /.
> /usr
> /usr/lib
> /usr/lib/firmware
> /usr/lib/firmware/BCM2033-MD.hex
> /usr/lib/firmware/BCM2033-FW.bin
> /usr/lib/firmware/STLC2500_R4_00_03.ptc
> /usr/lib/firmware/STLC2500_R4_00_06.ssf
> /usr/lib/firmware/STLC2500_R4_02_02_WLAN.ssf
> /usr/lib/firmware/STLC2500_R4_02_04.ptc
> /usr/share
> /usr/share/doc
> /usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware
> /usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware/BCM-LEGAL.txt
> /usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware/README
> /usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware/AUTHORS
> /usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware/README.Debian
> /usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware/copyright
> /usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware/changelog.Debian.gz
> /usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware/changelog.gz
>
> I have no idea how to use the binary files in /usr/lib/firmware. Most
> probably there is a command to upload the firmware or something like
> that. Can anyone help me get my bluetooth adapter configured properly?

The problem seems that udev expects the firmware under /lib/firmware,
not /usr/lib/firmware, see bug #400040. Try the bluez-firmware version
from Lenny, where this is fixed.

Sven

"Mumia W.." 05-24-2008 03:51 PM

utilizing bluez-firmware without hotplug in Etch

/usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware/README contains useless, generic
compilation and installation instructions. README.Debian says that
hotplug is needed, but hotplug is no longer in Debian. If I try to
install Sarge's hotplug, aptitude wants to basically uninstall my O/S
:-)

Maybe the documentation is outdated, the package is not the newest. Most
probably udev will work.

Please don't get me started about the documentation of bluez :-)

[...]
The problem seems that udev expects the firmware under /lib/firmware,
not /usr/lib/firmware, see bug #400040. Try the bluez-firmware version
from Lenny, where this is fixed.

Sven

Thanks Sven. I compiled and installed bluez-firmware (1.2-2), but it
didn't change anything. My adapter never seems to go into "discoverable"
mode.

I also noticed that my /sys/class/firmware directory is empty (except
for a "timeout" file).

Is there a command that I can give my adapter that tells it to go into
"discoverable" mode?