Old 05-23-2008, 10:31 PM
Thomas Schweikle

Default gdm does not start

Hi!

I have set up debian sid to use gdm for graphical login. But: gdm
just does not start if called from startup scripts. There is no
problem if gdm ist started by root. Just "/etc/init.d/gdm start"
does not work inany way.

Any hint welcome!

--
Thomas

Old 05-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Florian Kulzer

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 00:31:31 +0200, Thomas Schweikle wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have set up debian sid to use gdm for graphical login. But: gdm
> just does not start if called from startup scripts. There is no
> problem if gdm ist started by root. Just "/etc/init.d/gdm start"
> does not work inany way.
>
> Any hint welcome!

Are there any error messages when you run "/etc/init.d/gdm start"
(also check /var/log/syslog and /var/log/gdm.log)?

If that does not give you any further clues then you can change the line

set -e

in /etc/init.d/gdm to

set -xe

Then you will see all the commands as they are being run when you try
"/etc/init.d/gdm start" again. This should tell you what the showstopper
is. (Post the output here if you cannot make sense of it yourself.)

Florian |