Old 05-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Paul Cartwright

Default gpg not working with kmail

I have gnupg 1.4.9 installed and kmail 1.9.9 on KDE 3.5.9
when I try to go to SETTINGS-Configure kmail-Security the GpgME section is
greyed out. When I hit rescan it tells me:
While scanning for OpenPGP support backend GpgME:
Engine /usr/bin/pgp is not installed properly

While scanning for SMIME support backend GpgME:
Engine /usr/bin/pgpsm is not installed properly

locate pgp shows /usr/local/bin
what am I doing wrong?
--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 05-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Bob Cox

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 12:32:14 -0400, Paul Cartwright (ale@pcartwright.com) wrote:

> I have gnupg 1.4.9 installed and kmail 1.9.9 on KDE 3.5.9
> when I try to go to SETTINGS-Configure kmail-Security the GpgME section is
> greyed out. When I hit rescan it tells me:
> While scanning for OpenPGP support backend GpgME:
> Engine /usr/bin/pgp is not installed properly
>

> While scanning for SMIME support backend GpgME:
> Engine /usr/bin/pgpsm is not installed properly
>

> locate pgp shows /usr/local/bin
> what am I doing wrong?

What does 'which gpg' show?

I think you should be seeing /usr/bin/gpg (gpg, not pgp).

Old 05-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Fri May 23 2008, Bob Cox wrote:
> > While scanning for SMIME support backend GpgME:
> > Engine /usr/bin/pgpsm is not installed properly
> >

> > locate pgp shows /usr/local/bin
> > what am I doing wrong?
>
> What does 'which gpg' show?
>
> I think you should be seeing /usr/bin/gpg *(gpg, not pgp).

# which gpg
/usr/local/bin/gpg

I meant gpg..

Old 05-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 05-23-2008, 10:17 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Fri May 23 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Why have you installed the non-Debian gpg?

I'm not sure, maybe apt-get couldn't find it?

# apt-get install gpg
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package gpg

Old 05-23-2008, 10:35 PM
"Paul Johnson"

On Friday 23 May 2008 03:17:42 pm Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Fri May 23 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Why have you installed the non-Debian gpg?
>
> I'm not sure, maybe apt-get couldn't find it?
>
> # apt-get install gpg
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Couldn't find package gpg

It's gnupg, not gpg.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Explaination of .pgp part: http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Mail/rant-gpg.html

Old 05-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Fri May 23 2008, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > I'm not sure, maybe apt-get couldn't find it?
> >
> > # apt-get install gpg
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > E: Couldn't find package gpg
>
> It's gnupg, not gpg.

wow, I tried the ap-get purge of gnupg, and it said THIS:

# apt-get purge gnupg
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
required:
libclass-methodmaker-perl python-vte librsync1
The following packages will be REMOVED:
apt* apt-listbugs* apt-utils* aptitude* aptoncd* cdebootstrap* cowdancer*
debian-archive-keyring* debian-multimedia-keyring* duplicity* gdebi*
gdebi-core* gnome-app-install* gnome-gpg* gnupg* gpgkeys* kaddressbook*
kgpg* kmail* kontact* korganizer* libept0* libgnupg-interface-perl*
libgpgme11* libgpgme6* libkleopatra1* libkpimidentities1*
libmail-gnupg-perl* pbuilder* python-apt* python-gnupginterface* reportbug*
synaptic* tasksel* tasksel-data* update-manager* update-notifier*
WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed.
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
apt debian-archive-keyring (due to apt)
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 37 to remove and 11 not upgraded.
After this operation, 65.0MB disk space will be freed.
You are about to do something potentially harmful.
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'

not no, but H*LL no!

Old 05-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 05-24-2008, 01:59 AM
Paul Cartwright

On Fri May 23 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Why in $DEITY's name are you purging gnupg???????????

I was told to try to purge the packages, and if that didn't work to reinstall
them...

Old 05-24-2008, 02:08 AM
Ron Johnson