Old 05-23-2008, 03:15 PM
"Mathieu Malaterre"

Default Compilation on Big Endian platforms

Hi there,

I was wondering what would be the easiest way to try my code on a
big endian machine. I thought of buying a cheap G4 mac mini on ebay,
install linux and then compile my project. But those machine are still
a bit expensive for my budget. I have not investigated yet but is
there a way to emulate big endian on little endian machine (boch, xen,
vmware...).

Thanks !
--
Mathieu

Old 05-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I was wondering what would be the easiest way to try my code on a
> big endian machine. I thought of buying a cheap G4 mac mini on ebay,
> install linux and then compile my project. But those machine are still
> a bit expensive for my budget. I have not investigated yet but is
> there a way to emulate big endian on little endian machine (boch, xen,
> vmware...).

I believe qemu can do that. The other ones can't.

--
Old age is too high a price to pay for maturity.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb

Old 05-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Paul Dwerryhouse

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 05:15:51PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> I was wondering what would be the easiest way to try my code on a
> big endian machine. I thought of buying a cheap G4 mac mini on ebay,
> install linux and then compile my project. But those machine are still
> a bit expensive for my budget.

How about buying an old Sun Sparc? A quick ebay search turned up a
couple going for under $150, and several available at around $30...

Cheers,

Paul.

--
Paul Dwerryhouse | PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584

Old 05-24-2008, 01:31 AM
Kevin Mark

http://www.emdebian.org/tools.html

--
| .'`. == Debian GNU/Linux == | my web site: |
| : :' : The Universal |mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/|

Old 05-24-2008, 12:44 PM
"Mathieu Malaterre"

Indeed ! Thanks, that's a pretty darn good solution I need to check
if I can run powerpc on x86_64, but I like that.

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 5:19 PM, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
<eduardo@kalinowski.com.br> wrote:
> Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I was wondering what would be the easiest way to try my code on a
>> big endian machine. I thought of buying a cheap G4 mac mini on ebay,
>> install linux and then compile my project. But those machine are still
>> a bit expensive for my budget. I have not investigated yet but is
>> there a way to emulate big endian on little endian machine (boch, xen,
>> vmware...).
>>

> I believe qemu can do that. The other ones can't.
>
> --
> Old age is too high a price to pay for maturity.
>
> Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
> eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
> http://move.to/hpkb

Mathieu

Old 05-24-2008, 12:45 PM
"Mathieu Malaterre"

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 3:31 AM, Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 05:15:51PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I was wondering what would be the easiest way to try my code on a
>> big endian machine. I thought of buying a cheap G4 mac mini on ebay,
>> install linux and then compile my project. But those machine are still
>> a bit expensive for my budget. I have not investigated yet but is
>> there a way to emulate big endian on little endian machine (boch, xen,
>> vmware...).
>>
>> Thanks !
>> --
>> Mathieu
>
> http://www.emdebian.org/tools.html

I forgot to mention that I need to compile AND run the regresion test.
qemu is so far the best solution.

Thanks anyway,
--
Mathieu

Old 05-25-2008, 12:49 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 05:15:51PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

> I was wondering what would be the easiest way to try my code on a
> big endian machine. I thought of buying a cheap G4 mac mini on ebay,
> install linux and then compile my project. But those machine are still
> a bit expensive for my budget. I have not investigated yet but is
> there a way to emulate big endian on little endian machine (boch, xen,
> vmware...).

There's the Hercules mainframe simulator...

Doug.