Old 05-23-2008, 04:10 PM
"Steve Lamb"

Default 97% use of / system

On Fri, May 23, 2008 4:19 am, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> That, or the marketing department of your hard drive manufacturer
> confuses binary and base-10 exponential expressions.

They don't. HDs always use base-10, not binary. They know it makes the
drives look bigger.

--
Steve Lamb

Old 05-23-2008, 04:32 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/5/23 Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org>:
> On Fri, May 23, 2008 4:19 am, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> That, or the marketing department of your hard drive manufacturer
>> confuses binary and base-10 exponential expressions.
>
> They don't. HDs always use base-10, not binary. They know it makes the
> drives look bigger.

They should measure in unary. They would need a bigger box just to
write the size on it. That should look big.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Mike Bird

On Fri May 23 2008 07:19:10 Ron Johnson wrote:
> Lastly, remember that df sees blocks, but du sees *files*. So,
> where du sees 3 files that are each 1KiB, fir a total of 3KiB, df
> sees them as each using 1 4KiB block, for a total of 12KiB.

I'm pretty sure that du figures out the number of blocks used from
the file size (although maybe not the indirect blocks):

$ mkdir foo
$ du foo
4 foo
$ echo small >foo/bar
$ du foo
8 foo
$

--Mike Bird

Old 05-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Gabriel Parrondo

El vie, 23-05-2008 a las 09:10 -0700, Steve Lamb escribi:
> On Fri, May 23, 2008 4:19 am, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > That, or the marketing department of your hard drive manufacturer
> > confuses binary and base-10 exponential expressions.
>
> They don't. HDs always use base-10, not binary. They know it makes the
> drives look bigger.

On a side note, I just found out that many applications use base-10 too.
GNU Parted for example.

--
Gabriel Parrondo
GNU/Linux User #404138

"The only difference between theory and practice is that, in theory,
there's no difference between theory and practice."

Old 05-23-2008, 05:43 PM
"Anuradha Weeraman"

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 12:56 PM, andy <geek_show@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> My / partition is some 12GB and I see that it is currently 97% full. How can
> I clean this out without trashing important files? What should I be looking
> for in terms of likely culprits that can be deep-sixed safely?

Filelight is a handy tool to help you "visualize" where all the disk space went.

--
Anuradha Weeraman
http://www.linux.lk/~anu/

Old 05-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Michelle Konzack

Am 2008-05-23 09:35:51, schrieb Mike Bird:
> I'm pretty sure that du figures out the number of blocks used from
> the file size (although maybe not the indirect blocks):
>
> $ mkdir foo
> $ du foo
> 4 foo
> $ echo small >foo/bar
> $ du foo
> 8 foo
> $

And do not forget that even the directory "foo" can have more then 4 kB
since it holds the directory file table...

There was a thread on LKM where if you have BLOCKSIZE of

1 kByte you can have up to 128.000 Files in the directory
2 kByte "" 8.000.000 Files "
4 kByte "" 829.000.000 Files "

and since the directory infos must be stored anywhere...

Oh, in my ~/Maildir/ I have some Mailfolder which have more then 180 kB
and are nice shown in "Midnight Commander"

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
24V Electronic Engineer
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
+49/177/9351947 50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi

Old 05-23-2008, 09:58 PM
"Todd A. Jacobs"

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 05:56:23PM +0100, andy wrote:

> My / partition is some 12GB and I see that it is currently 97% full.
> How can I clean this out without trashing important files? What should
> I be looking for in terms of likely culprits that can be deep-sixed
> safely?

The du utility, as well as find's size flag, are your friends. It could
be lots of things, but the most common culprits IMHO are:

- not having a separate /var and /tmp partition
- packages that use /opt or /srv, which are rarely on a separate
partition
- cruft in ~root
- GUI file deletion tools that use trash directories
- unlinked open files on a non-separate /usr directory (e.g. doing a
massive dist-upgrade without a reboot)

As a point of comparison, my root partition is only using 330MB, so you
definitely have some work ahead of you.

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"

Old 05-24-2008, 11:10 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 07:16:46AM +0100, andy wrote:
> <snip>
> >>My / partition is some 12GB and I see that it is currently 97% full. How
> >>can

> / = 12GB
> SWAP = 2.8GB
> /home = 168GB
>
> No separate /var /tmp, etc.
>
> Having run apt-get clean / is now down to 56%. I suspect that the
> balance of the usage is in /var with different logs and mail.

You had near 5 GB of debs!

I use aptitude interactivly. It has some nice search functions and I
don't have it install recommends automatically.

You may have some cruft build-up on the system. Use your package
manager (I'm not suggesting that you change which one you use) and
identify and remove any packages that you don't want. The fewer
packages installed, the fewer to have bugs.

You may want to consider splitting up that filesystem.

Doug.