Old 05-23-2008, 03:27 AM
Jose Luis Rivas Contreras

Default 97% use of / system

Old 05-23-2008, 06:16 AM
andy

<snip>

Hello

My / partition is some 12GB and I see that it is currently 97% full. How can
I clean this out without trashing important files? What should I be looking
for in terms of likely culprits that can be deep-sixed safely?

Thanks

Andy

try with this:

# apt-get clean

and then verify the free space with: df -h

cheers,

Hello all

Thanks for the slew of rapid responses.

Apologies for not giving sufficient info on my partitioning scheme.
Here's the scoop:

/ = 12GB
SWAP = 2.8GB
/home = 168GB

No separate /var /tmp, etc.

Having run apt-get clean / is now down to 56%. I suspect that the
balance of the usage is in /var with different logs and mail.

As an aside, I seem to be missing approx 18GB of HD space - this is a
200GB HD, but adding the values given above totals 182GB. Strange, and I
cannot track it down anywhere, and I don't dual-boot, so unless 200GB
was listed on the packaging as an approximation, almost 20GB have gone AWOL.

Anyway, thanks for the advice on clearing out the cruft. What I may well
go and do is manually remove old, archived /var logs just to clear up
more space.

Cheers all

Andy

Old 05-23-2008, 09:30 AM
"josejuan.montiel@gmail.com"

> andy wrote:
> > My / partition is some 12GB and I see that it is currently 97% full.
> > How can I clean this out without trashing important files? What
> > should I be looking for in terms of likely culprits that can be
> > deep-sixed safely?
>
> When I do my yearly spring cleaning, I use deborphan and cruft to find
> packages and files I don't need anymore.

Similary to apt-get clean, autoremove and deborphan its interesting

debfoster

list all important packages that you install, telling yours dependies,
and prompt if you want to keep it in your sistem.

Next time you execute, only prompt for news... you can use soon

localepurge

that erase all doc of other idioms...

Is one suggestiong to keep clean your sistem, only with your
interesting packges...

Bye

Old 05-23-2008, 10:19 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/5/22 andy <geek_show@dsl.pipex.com>:
> Hello
>
> My / partition is some 12GB and I see that it is currently 97% full. How can
> I clean this out without trashing important files? What should I be looking
> for in terms of likely culprits that can be deep-sixed safely?
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy

I would look in /var. It's called var because it contains files of
variable size, and hence likely that they will grow. Especially log
files when there are errors. For that reason, it is advised that /var
be on a separate partition from /.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Gabriel Parrondo

El vie, 23-05-2008 a las 07:16 +0100, andy escribi:
> <snip>
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> My / partition is some 12GB and I see that it is currently 97% full. How can
> >> I clean this out without trashing important files? What should I be looking
> >> for in terms of likely culprits that can be deep-sixed safely?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Andy
> >>

> > try with this:
> >
> > # apt-get clean
> >
> > and then verify the free space with: df -h
> >
> > cheers,
> >

> Hello all
>
> Thanks for the slew of rapid responses.
>
> Apologies for not giving sufficient info on my partitioning scheme.
> Here's the scoop:
>
> / = 12GB
> SWAP = 2.8GB
> /home = 168GB
>
> No separate /var /tmp, etc.
>
> Having run apt-get clean / is now down to 56%. I suspect that the
> balance of the usage is in /var with different logs and mail.
>
> As an aside, I seem to be missing approx 18GB of HD space - this is a
> 200GB HD, but adding the values given above totals 182GB. Strange, and I
> cannot track it down anywhere, and I don't dual-boot, so unless 200GB
> was listed on the packaging as an approximation, almost 20GB have gone AWOL.

Run 'parted /dev/yourdisk' and in parted's prompt enter 'print'.
It will tell you where each partition begins and ends. There might be
empty (unpartitioned) space between partitions or at the end/beginning
of disk.

[...]

--
Gabriel Parrondo
GNU/Linux User #404138

"The only difference between theory and practice is that, in theory,
there's no difference between theory and practice."

Old 05-23-2008, 11:19 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/5/23 Gabriel Parrondo <g.parrondo@gmail.com>:
>> As an aside, I seem to be missing approx 18GB of HD space - this is a
>> 200GB HD, but adding the values given above totals 182GB. Strange, and I
>> cannot track it down anywhere, and I don't dual-boot, so unless 200GB
>> was listed on the packaging as an approximation, almost 20GB have gone AWOL.
>>

> Run 'parted /dev/yourdisk' and in parted's prompt enter 'print'.
> It will tell you where each partition begins and ends. There might be
> empty (unpartitioned) space between partitions or at the end/beginning
> of disk.

That, or the marketing department of your hard drive manufacturer
confuses binary and base-10 exponential expressions.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-23-2008, 02:08 PM
andy

Gabriel Parrondo wrote:

[...]

Cheers for that.

Nope - parted shows that all drive space is present and accounted for.

But, there still seems to be a missing 18GB of HD when I run df -h .

Andy

Old 05-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 05-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Gabriel Parrondo

El vie, 23-05-2008 a las 15:08 +0100, andy escribi:
> Gabriel Parrondo wrote:
> > El vie, 23-05-2008 a las 07:16 +0100, andy escribi:
> >
> > > <snip>

> > > Hello all
> > >
> > > Thanks for the slew of rapid responses.
> > >
> > > Apologies for not giving sufficient info on my partitioning scheme.
> > > Here's the scoop:
> > >
> > > / = 12GB
> > > SWAP = 2.8GB
> > > /home = 168GB
> > >
> > > No separate /var /tmp, etc.
> > >
> > > Having run apt-get clean / is now down to 56%. I suspect that the
> > > balance of the usage is in /var with different logs and mail.
> > >
> > > As an aside, I seem to be missing approx 18GB of HD space - this is a
> > > 200GB HD, but adding the values given above totals 182GB. Strange, and I
> > > cannot track it down anywhere, and I don't dual-boot, so unless 200GB
> > > was listed on the packaging as an approximation, almost 20GB have gone AWOL.
> > >

> > Run 'parted /dev/yourdisk' and in parted's prompt enter 'print'.
> > It will tell you where each partition begins and ends. There might be
> > empty (unpartitioned) space between partitions or at the end/beginning
> > of disk.
> >
> > [...]
> >

> Cheers for that.
> Nope - parted shows that all drive space is present and accounted
> for.
> But, there still seems to be a missing 18GB of HD when I run df -h .

How about 'df -H'?

Old 05-23-2008, 03:09 PM
andy

Ron Johnson wrote:

El vie, 23-05-2008 a las 07:16 +0100, andy escribi:

<snip>

[snip]

As an aside, I seem to be missing approx 18GB of HD space - this is a
200GB HD, but adding the values given above totals 182GB. Strange, and I
cannot track it down anywhere, and I don't dual-boot, so unless 200GB
was listed on the packaging as an approximation, almost 20GB have gone AWOL.

Run 'parted /dev/yourdisk' and in parted's prompt enter 'print'.
It will tell you where each partition begins and ends. There might be
empty (unpartitioned) space between partitions or at the end/beginning
of disk.

[...]

Cheers for that.
Nope - parted shows that all drive space is present and accounted for.
But, there still seems to be a missing 18GB of HD when I run df -h .

Remember that, by default, df prints binary values, but hard drives
are measured in decimal. So try "df -H".

Lastly, remember that df sees blocks, but du sees *files*. So,
where du sees 3 files that are each 1KiB, fir a total of 3KiB, df
sees them as each using 1 4KiB block, for a total of 12KiB.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Thanks for that info Ron. When I run df -H the totals tally as
expected! Thanks - I was getting a tad paranoid there!!

Andy