Old 05-22-2008, 04:56 PM
andy

Default 97% use of / system

Hello

My / partition is some 12GB and I see that it is currently 97% full. How
can I clean this out without trashing important files? What should I be
looking for in terms of likely culprits that can be deep-sixed safely?

Thanks

Andy

Old 05-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Mike Bird

On Thu May 22 2008 09:56:23 andy wrote:
> My / partition is some 12GB and I see that it is currently 97% full. How
> can I clean this out without trashing important files? What should I be
> looking for in terms of likely culprits that can be deep-sixed safely?

I dunno, what have you been downloading? Movies? Music? Games?

Debian doesn't accumulate much trash or cache. I'd run "apt-get clean"
first but that's unlikely to recover a significant fraction of 12GB.

An algorithm that sometimes works is to:

cd /home
du -x --max-depth=1 | sort -n | tail
cd into the subdirectory with the largest number
du -x --max-depth=1 | sort -n | tail
cd into the subdirectory with the largest number

until you find something you want to delete. (The first "du" will
probably require several minutes. Subsequent "du"s will be faster.)

If that doesn't find what you need, try again but starting with
"cd /" instead of "cd /home".

--Mike Bird

Old 05-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Tobias Nissen

andy wrote:
> My / partition is some 12GB and I see that it is currently 97% full.
> How can I clean this out without trashing important files? What
> should I be looking for in terms of likely culprits that can be
> deep-sixed safely?

When I do my yearly spring cleaning, I use deborphan and cruft to find
packages and files I don't need anymore.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:16 PM
Sam Leon

andy wrote:

Hello

My / partition is some 12GB and I see that it is currently 97% full. How
can I clean this out without trashing important files? What should I be
looking for in terms of likely culprits that can be deep-sixed safely?

Thanks

Andy

Trying running "aptitude clean"

Sam