Old 05-22-2008, 12:50 PM
kj

Default kernel update breaks network

Hi guys,

I just updated an Etch server to linux-image-2.6.18-6-k7 (from -5-) and
after a reboot network won't come up. The network card is an Intel
100mbit, uses the e100 driver. The driver loads, but trying to bring
eth0 up gives me a "does not exist" error.

After much back and forth fiddling and replacing the card without any
luck, I remembered this has happened before, and by accident I found out
the previous time that the interface number has changed. So I checked.
Sure as bob, it was now eth4...

Why does this happen? I imagine there's some of caching of the MAC
address going on, and I'm worried this might expire at some point.

Another thing I noticed, while trying all sorts of things. I could not
get the e100 driver to load with any options. I tried
eeprom_bad_csum_allow=1 and debug=16 and it simply did not happen.

This just adds to another problem I have with e100, on my workstation,
where it sees only one of two identical cards, forcing me to use
eepro100 for the second.

Any ideas appreciated

Thanks
--kj

Old 05-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Axel Freyn

Hi kj,
On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 01:50:04PM +0100, kj wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I just updated an Etch server to linux-image-2.6.18-6-k7 (from -5-) and
> after a reboot network won't come up. The network card is an Intel
> 100mbit, uses the e100 driver. The driver loads, but trying to bring
> eth0 up gives me a "does not exist" error.
>
> After much back and forth fiddling and replacing the card without any
> luck, I remembered this has happened before, and by accident I found out
> the previous time that the interface number has changed. So I checked.
> Sure as bob, it was now eth4...
>
> Why does this happen? I imagine there's some of caching of the MAC
> address going on, and I'm worried this might expire at some point.
I don't know the exact reason, but I believe it to be responsability of udev.
Probably the new Kernel detects the card differently. If udev is correctly
running, you should have a file /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules
containing entries for each network-device. If you change there "eth4" to
"eth0", it should work.

HTH,

Axel

Old 05-22-2008, 01:02 PM