Old 05-22-2008, 04:46 AM
"Adam Mercer"

Default Network Manager problems

Hi

I'm running Etch and whenever I login to GNOME I have to use the
NetworkManager applet to connect to my wired network, how can I
configure NetworkManager to automatically connect to my wired network
on boot? I've tried looking at the NetworkManager man pages but they
are next to useless.

Cheers

Adam

Old 05-22-2008, 06:38 AM
"Todd A. Jacobs"

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 11:46:51PM -0500, Adam Mercer wrote:

> I'm running Etch and whenever I login to GNOME I have to use the
> NetworkManager applet to connect to my wired network, how can I

If you always want to use eth0, I'd drop NetworkManager altogether and
just set things up in /etc/network/interfaces so that eth0 is
auto-started. If you need to do something more automagical, I've found
that ifplugd works pretty well, too.

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"

Old 05-22-2008, 03:57 PM
"Adam Mercer"

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 1:38 AM, Todd A. Jacobs <nospam@codegnome.org> wrote:

> If you always want to use eth0, I'd drop NetworkManager altogether and
> just set things up in /etc/network/interfaces so that eth0 is
> auto-started. If you need to do something more automagical, I've found
> that ifplugd works pretty well, too.

Thanks, I've removed NetworkManager and edited /etc/network/interfaces
appropriately and everything is great now!

Cheers

Adam

Old 05-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 01-29-2010, 08:46 PM

Hi folks

When I click the Network Manager Icon (Ubuntu 9.10) it says:

Wired Networks
device not managed

Wireless Networks
wireless is disabled

I did not disable wireless and I have no idea why the wired network would not
be managed by NetworkManager. How do I enable wireless and manage wired as
well?

Old 01-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Thomas Dean

> Wired Networks
> *device not managed
Have you ever used DSL(or pppoe)?

> Wireless Networks
> *wireless is disabled
Are you using a netbook? If you are, my experience may be useful.
When I click the WIFI button on my netbook, it will automatically
search for the WIFI point nearby. If it doesn't find any, it will turn
off the wireless network card. So it will be seen in ubuntu that
wireless is disabled.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:51 AM
Tom H

> When I click the Network Manager Icon (Ubuntu 9.10) it says:

> Wired Networks
> device not managed

Do you have entries other than for "lo" in /etc/network/interfaces?