Old 05-21-2008, 11:13 PM
"Walt L. Williams"

Default A routing question

Greetings

I have recently upgraded my computer's hardware.
After re-installing Debian Etch (64AMD). (I was running
on a seven year old AMD motherboard.) I found that
I now have to set the default route to ppp0 when I use
gnome-ppp by hand through a terminal window and
su, where I didn't have to do this on my previous
install of Etch.

Is there a way to get this to set its self when I start
gnome-ppp, or set this up to where it will be permanate.
I admit to not being a networking whiz.

--
Best Regards
Walt L. Williams

.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:44 AM
"Mumia W.."

I have recently upgraded my computer's hardware.
After re-installing Debian Etch (64AMD). (I was running
on a seven year old AMD motherboard.) I found that
I now have to set the default route to ppp0 when I use
gnome-ppp by hand through a terminal window and
su, where I didn't have to do this on my previous
install of Etch.

Is there a way to get this to set its self when I start
gnome-ppp, or set this up to where it will be permanate.
I admit to not being a networking whiz.

Gnome-ppp probably uses pppd to make the connection. Pppd supports
multiple ISP profiles which are placed in /etc/ppp/peers/. Usually, the
profile that is used is in the file /etc/ppp/peers/provider.

In that file (or whatever ISP profile your system uses), make sure that
the defaultroute option appears; "defaultroute" tells pppd to make the
link a default route when it comes up. Read "man pppd".

If you are unsure of what ISP profile your pppd uses, use gnome-ppp to
go online and use a terminal to view how pppd is invoked:

ps U root | grep pppd

Good luck.