Old 05-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Hendrik Boom

Default Image compression

I've noticed that some 40K byte jpeg files are very good, as good as ones
ten times the size, and that others are awful. The question naturally
arises about the proper way to further compress the large images to save
disk space.

What image compression programs have people found to give good results?

And to what extent is good image quality the result of the algorithms
that display the image, adjusting image size to screen size and
resolution and the like?

-- hendrik

Old 05-21-2008, 08:04 PM
michael

On Wed, 2008-05-21 at 20:02 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> I've noticed that some 40K byte jpeg files are very good, as good as ones
> ten times the size, and that others are awful. The question naturally
> arises about the proper way to further compress the large images to save
> disk space.
>
> What image compression programs have people found to give good results?
>
> And to what extent is good image quality the result of the algorithms
> that display the image, adjusting image size to screen size and
> resolution and the like?

isn't it image dependent? It is for GIFs and so I thought for JPEGs
too...