Old 05-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Marcelo Chiapparini

Default problems installing openoffice.org in etch (solved)

Florian Kulzer wrote:

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 11:51:17 -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:

Florian Kulzer wrote:

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 17:56:24 -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:

Florian Kulzer wrote:

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 16:38:13 -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:

[...]

Hi! follows a copy of my /etc/apt/sources.list file. Just in
case, I am using the amd64 port of etch...

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free

That should work; this mirror has the .deb file right here:
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/stlport4.6/libstlport4.6c2_4.6.2-3_amd64.deb

What happens if you run "aptitude update"? Are there any error messages?

Here it is, no error messages:

marcelo@nostromo2:~$ sudo aptitude update

[ lines not pertaining to http.us.debian.org removed ]

Get:1 http://http.us.debian.org etch Release.gpg [378B]
Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch Release
Ign http://http.us.debian.org etch/main Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://http.us.debian.org etch/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://http.us.debian.org etch/non-free Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch/main Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch/contrib Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch/non-free Packages

That does look OK indeed. Do you now see the package available with
"apt-cache policy libstlport4.6c2"?

Hi Florian,

here is the output. The package is still missing:

marcelo@nostromo2:~$ apt-cache policy libstlport4.6c2
libstlport4.6c2:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: (none)
Version table:
4.6.2-3 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

What about installing libstlport4.6c2 by hand? downloading the .deb file
and using dpkg -i? of course, I will have to care about dependences by
hand too. Does this make sense?

That is possible, but it will be a lot of work to download all the
dependencies (and the dependencies of the dependencies, etc.) yourself.

I use synaptic for installing packages. Yesterday, when I ran synaptic,
it complained about a dependence problem, asking to use "Fix broken
packages" before installing anything. After that, the problem with the
installation of openoffice begun. May be both things are related? I
don't know...

I would like to know how long the Packages file for http.us.debian.org
is on your system. Please post the output of:

ls -lh /var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_stable_main_binary-amd64_Packages

Also, you can check if this file lists the libstlport4.6c2 package:

grep -A7 '^Package: libstlport4.6c2' /var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_stable_main_binary-amd64_Packages

Other things you can try:

Maybe there is a problem with the Packages file on your computer and it
does not get corrected because apt(itude) only downloads the index file
diffs by default. You can force a new download of the whole Packages
file with this:

aptitude -o Acquire::PDiffs=false update

(This will download several MB, so it might take a while depending on
your network connection.)

If all else fails, try another mirror.

Hi Florian,

Well, in sources.list I changed the repository

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free

by this one

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main non-free contrib

Everything is going ok now! In fact I am installing openoffice.org 2.4
from backports now!

Obviously, there is a problem with the http://http.us.debian.org
repository, for amd64 at last...

Thank you very much for all your support!

cheers

Marcelo

--
Marcelo Chiapparini