Old 05-21-2008, 01:35 PM
"Guillermo Garron"

Default apt-cacher starting twice

Hi,

I have installed apt-cacher in a Debian Lenny (fully updated) I also
have apache on that server (if this matters), the problem is that at
startup apt-cacher tries to start twice, the first one goes well, and
the second is unable to bind the port (TCP 3142) because it is taken
by the first run.

This is my /etc/default/apt-cacher

************
# set to 1 to start the daemon at boot time
AUTOSTART=1
****************************

This is the output for ls /etc/rc2.d/

**************************
K08vmware S11klogd S20cpufreqd S20nfs-common
S20sysstat S26network-manager-dispatcher S89cron
S99rmnologin
K20apt-cacher S12dbus S20cpufrequtils S20nvidia-kernel
S24avahi-daemon S30gdm S90vmware
S99stop-bootlogd
README S16ssh S20cupsys S20openbsd-inetd
S24dhcdbd S30system-tools-backends S91apache2
S05loadcpufreq S18portmap S20exim4 S20policycoreutils
S24hal S89anacron S99fail2ban
S10sysklogd S20acpid S20hotkey-setup S20polipo
S26network-manager S89atd S99rc.local

****************************

And this is the output for cat /var/log/boot | grep apt-cacher

**************************
Wed May 21 09:03:05 2008: Starting Apt-Cacher: apt-cacher.
Wed May 21 09:03:29 2008: Starting Apt-Cacher: apt-cacherUnable to
bind socket ( port 3142), trying again in 5 seconds.
Wed May 21 09:03:39 2008: Unable to bind socket ( port 3142),
/usr/sbin/apt-cacher not started.
**************************

If I run ps auxw | grep apt-cacher

I can see it running, and it is working and responding to requests, If I run

/etc/init.d/apt-cacher restart

it respond, that it cannot bind port 3142, Even though it is running,
there is not /var/run/apt-cacher file If I kill the running apt-cacher
instance (using kill) I can then start it using the
/etc/init.d/apt-cacher start command, and then a /var/run/apt-cacher
appears.

I do not know who is starting the first instance or the second, If I
rename the file
/etc/rc2.d/S20apt-cacher to /etc/rc2.d/K20apt-cacher, it start just
once, but who is starting that? my file /etc/rc.local is empty, you
could say let it that way, because now is working, but I can not do a
/etc/init.d/apt-cacher restart, and most of all, I want to understand
what is going on,

thanks in advance and hope I have not inserted too much garbage and
yet enough info.

--
Guillermo Garron
"Linux IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."

Old 05-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Mark Hindley

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 09:35:37AM -0400, Guillermo Garron wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed apt-cacher in a Debian Lenny (fully updated) I also
> have apache on that server (if this matters), the problem is that at
> startup apt-cacher tries to start twice, the first one goes well, and
> the second is unable to bind the port (TCP 3142) because it is taken
> by the first run.

Sorry about this. Have you made any changed to
/etc/apt-cacher/apt-cacher.conf?

Could you enable debugging, make sure there are no daemons running and
then send the output of the error.log with debugging enabled.

Thanks,

Mark