FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Santi Saez
 
Default Monitor CPU temperature in a Supermicro X6DH8-XG2

Dear Srs,

I need to get the CPU temperature in a Supermicro X6DH8-XG2
motherboard, this is the link for key features:


http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon800/E7520/X6DH8-
XG2.cfm


According with the page specs, X6DH8-XG2 seems to have some thermal
monitoring chip/hardware:


* Monitoring for CPU and chassis environment
* CPU thermal trip support
* Thermal Monitor 2 support

When running lm-sensors 2.10.1-3 (with libsensors3) on a Debian Etch
box I get:


# sensors
No sensors found!
Make sure you loaded all the kernel drivers you need.
Try sensors-detect to find out which these are.

This is the output for "sensors-detect":

================================================== ======================
=================


(..)
# I2C adapter drivers
i2c-i801
# Chip drivers
# Warning: the required module lm93 is not currently installed
# on your system. For status of 2.6 kernel ports check
# http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices. If driver is built
# into the kernel, or unavailable, comment out the following line.
lm93
# no driver for Nat. Semi. PC87427 Super IO Fan Sensors yet
================================================== ======================
=================


Debian is using Etch default kernel, 2.6.18-6-686-bigmem, i2c-i801
modules loads correctly but lm93 isn't available:


# lsmod | grep i801
i2c_i801 8236 0
i2c_core 20448 4 eeprom,lm83,i2c_dev,i2c_i801

# modprobe -l | grep lm93
# modprobe lm93
FATAL: Module lm93 not found.

I have also tried looking at ACPI info into /proc, file "/proc/acpi/
thermal_zone/THRM/temperature" but isn't not available:


================================================== ======================
=================

# find /proc/acpi
/proc/acpi
/proc/acpi/battery
/proc/acpi/thermal_zone
/proc/acpi/processor
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU3
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU3/power
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU3/limit
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU3/throttling
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU3/info
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU2
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU2/power
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU2/limit
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU2/throttling
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU2/info
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU1
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU1/power
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU1/limit
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU1/throttling
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU1/info
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU0
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/power
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/limit
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/throttling
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/info
/proc/acpi/fan
/proc/acpi/wakeup
/proc/acpi/alarm
/proc/acpi/event
/proc/acpi/fadt
/proc/acpi/dsdt
/proc/acpi/info
/proc/acpi/power_resource
/proc/acpi/embedded_controller
================================================== ======================
=================


Trying with IPMI I get this error:

================================================== ======================
=================

# ipmitool sdr elist
Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0:
No such file or directory

Get Device ID command failed
Unable to open SDR for reading
================================================== ======================
=================



And the device appears correctly:

================================================== ======================
=================

# stat /dev/ipmi0
File: `/dev/ipmi0'
Size: 0 Blocks: 0 IO Block: 4096
character special file

Device: dh/13d Inode: 8455 Links: 1 Device type: fd,0
Access: (0644/crw-r--r--) Uid: ( 0/ root) Gid: ( 0/ root)
Access: 2008-05-21 12:10:48.765165105 +0200
Modify: 2008-05-21 12:10:48.765165105 +0200
Change: 2008-05-21 12:11:06.427094355 +0200
================================================== ======================
=================


What can I do to get the CPU temperature in this motherboard? Thanks!!

Regards,

--
Santi Saez


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Ron Johnson
 
Default Monitor CPU temperature in a Supermicro X6DH8-XG2

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 05/21/08 06:45, Santi Saez wrote:
>
> Dear Srs,
>
> I need to get the CPU temperature in a Supermicro X6DH8-XG2 motherboard,
> this is the link for key features:
>
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon800/E7520/X6DH8-XG2.cfm
>
> According with the page specs, X6DH8-XG2 seems to have some thermal
> monitoring chip/hardware:
>
> * Monitoring for CPU and chassis environment
> * CPU thermal trip support
> * Thermal Monitor 2 support
>
> When running lm-sensors 2.10.1-3 (with libsensors3) on a Debian Etch box
> I get:
>
> # sensors
> No sensors found!
> Make sure you loaded all the kernel drivers you need.
> Try sensors-detect to find out which these are.
>
> This is the output for "sensors-detect":
>
> ================================================== =======================================
>
>
> (..)
> # I2C adapter drivers
> i2c-i801
> # Chip drivers
> # Warning: the required module lm93 is not currently installed
> # on your system. For status of 2.6 kernel ports check
> # http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices. If driver is built
> # into the kernel, or unavailable, comment out the following line.
> lm93
> # no driver for Nat. Semi. PC87427 Super IO Fan Sensors yet

Did you go to the mentioned web site to look to see whether the
PC87427 is supported by lm-sensors 2.10.1-3?

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

ESPN makes baseball players better.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFINB1yS9HxQb37XmcRAlUEAKDkoSw7atvQA9/yves8Htoir7okgwCgzHZb
46PQfToMQTtBIn5vBcF5rEA=
=i/kp
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-21-2008, 02:01 PM
"Brian Schrock"
 
Default Monitor CPU temperature in a Supermicro X6DH8-XG2

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1



On 05/21/08 06:45, Santi Saez wrote:

>

> Dear Srs,

>

> I need to get the CPU temperature in a Supermicro X6DH8-XG2 motherboard,

> this is the link for key features:

>

> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon800/E7520/X6DH8-XG2.cfm

>

> According with the page specs, X6DH8-XG2 seems to have some thermal

> monitoring chip/hardware:

>

> * * * Monitoring for CPU and chassis environment

> * * * CPU thermal trip support

> * * * Thermal Monitor 2 support

>

> When running lm-sensors 2.10.1-3 (with libsensors3) on a Debian Etch box

> I get:

>

> # sensors

> No sensors found!

> Make sure you loaded all the kernel drivers you need.

> Try sensors-detect to find out which these are.

>

> This is the output for "sensors-detect":

>

> ================================================== =======================================

>

>

> (..)

> # I2C adapter drivers

> i2c-i801

> # Chip drivers

> # Warning: the required module lm93 is not currently installed

> # on your system. For status of 2.6 kernel ports check

> # http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices. If driver is built

> # into the kernel, or unavailable, comment out the following line.

> lm93

> # no driver for Nat. Semi. PC87427 Super IO Fan Sensors yet



Did you go to the mentioned web site to look to see whether the

PC87427 is supported by lm-sensors 2.10.1-3?



- --

Ron Johnson, Jr.

Jefferson LA *USA



ESPN makes baseball players better.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)



iD8DBQFINB1yS9HxQb37XmcRAlUEAKDkoSw7atvQA9/yves8Htoir7okgwCgzHZb

46PQfToMQTtBIn5vBcF5rEA=

=i/kp

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----





--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org


I use Supermicro motherboards, and assuming you did install the ipmi card (it is not included on any of our motherboards (H6DH8, X5DP8,X7DB8)), you need to load the ipmi kernel modules.


ipmi_devintf
ipmi_msghandler
ipmi_poweroff
ipmi_si
ipmi_watchdog

You should see something below in your dmesg if you have the card...

# grep "ipmi" /var/log/dmesg
ipmi message handler version 39.0

ipmi device interface
ipmi_si: Trying SMBIOS-specified KCS state machine at I/O address 0xca2, slave address 0x20, irq 0
ipmi: Found new BMC (man_id: 0x0028c5,* prod_id: 0x0004, dev_id: 0x22)

And assuming you get all of that working....

# ipmitool sensor
CPU Temp 1****** | 21.000**** | degrees C* | ok*** | na******* | na******* | na******* | 76.000*** | 78.000*** | 80.000
CPU Temp 2****** | 24.000**** | degrees C* | ok*** | na******* | na******* | na******* | 76.000*** | 78.000*** | 80.000

CPU Temp 3****** | na******** | degrees C* | na*** | na******* | na******* | na******* | 76.000*** | 78.000*** | 80.000
CPU Temp 4****** | na******** | degrees C* | na*** | na******* | na******* | na******* | 76.000*** | 78.000*** | 80.000

Sys Temp******** | 25.000**** | degrees C* | ok*** | na******* | na******* | na******* | 76.000*** | 78.000*** | 80.000
CPU1 Vcore****** | 1.176***** | Volts***** | ok*** | 1.056**** | 1.064**** | 1.072**** | 1.624**** | 1.632**** | 1.640

CPU2 Vcore****** | 1.200***** | Volts***** | ok*** | 1.056**** | 1.064**** | 1.072**** | 1.624**** | 1.632**** | 1.640
3.3V************ | 3.312***** | Volts***** | ok*** | 2.912**** | 2.928**** | 2.944**** | 3.648**** | 3.664**** | 3.680

5V************** | 4.968***** | Volts***** | ok*** | 4.416**** | 4.440**** | 4.464**** | 5.520**** | 5.544**** | 5.568
12V************* | 11.808**** | Volts***** | ok*** | 10.464*** | 10.560*** | 10.656*** | 13.344*** | 13.440*** | 13.536

-12V************ | -12.100*** | Volts***** | ok*** | -10.500** | -10.600** | -10.700** | -13.300** | -13.400** | -13.500
1.5V************ | 1.488***** | Volts***** | ok*** | 1.296**** | 1.312**** | 1.328**** | 1.664**** | 1.680**** | 1.696

5VSB************ | 4.944***** | Volts***** | ok*** | 4.416**** | 4.440**** | 4.464**** | 5.520**** | 5.544**** | 5.568
VBAT************ | 3.200***** | Volts***** | ok*** | 2.912**** | 2.928**** | 2.944**** | 3.648**** | 3.664**** | 3.680

Fan1************ | 5100.000** | RPM******* | ok*** | 200.000** | 300.000** | 400.000** | na******* | na******* | na
Fan2************ | 5100.000** | RPM******* | ok*** | 200.000** | 300.000** | 400.000** | na******* | na******* | na

Fan3************ | 5100.000** | RPM******* | ok*** | 200.000** | 300.000** | 400.000** | na******* | na******* | na
Fan4************ | 0.000***** | RPM******* | nr*** | 200.000** | 300.000** | 400.000** | na******* | na******* | na

Fan5************ | 0.000***** | RPM******* | nr*** | 200.000** | 300.000** | 400.000** | na******* | na******* | na
Fan6************ | 0.000***** | RPM******* | nr*** | 200.000** | 300.000** | 400.000** | na******* | na******* | na

Fan7/CPU1******* | 0.000***** | RPM******* | nr*** | 200.000** | 300.000** | 400.000** | na******* | na******* | na
Fan8/CPU2******* | 0.000***** | RPM******* | nr*** | 200.000** | 300.000** | 400.000** | na******* | na******* | na

Intrusion******* | 0x0******* | discrete** | 0x0000| na******* | na******* | na******* | na******* | na******* | na
Power Supply**** | 0x0******* | discrete** | 0x0000| na******* | na******* | na******* | na******* | na******* | na

CPU0 Internal E* | 0x0******* | discrete** | 0x0000| na******* | na******* | na******* | na******* | na******* | na
CPU1 Internal E* | 0x0******* | discrete** | 0x0000| na******* | na******* | na******* | na******* | na******* | na

CPU Overheat**** | 0x0******* | discrete** | 0x0000| na******* | na******* | na******* | na******* | na******* | na
Thermal Trip0*** | 0x0******* | discrete** | 0x0000| na******* | na******* | na******* | na******* | na******* | na

Thermal Trip1*** | 0x0******* | discrete** | 0x0000| na******* | na******* | na******* | na******* | na******* | na

That will be your output...

I cannot help you on the lm-sensors route, I have never found that stuff particularly reliable so we don't use it.
 
Old 05-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Ron Johnson
 
Default Monitor CPU temperature in a Supermicro X6DH8-XG2

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 05/21/08 09:01, Brian Schrock wrote:
>
>
> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net
> <mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net>> wrote:
>
> On 05/21/08 06:45, Santi Saez wrote:
>
>> Dear Srs,
>
>> I need to get the CPU temperature in a Supermicro X6DH8-XG2
> motherboard,
>> this is the link for key features:
>
>
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon800/E7520/X6DH8-XG2.cfm
>
>> According with the page specs, X6DH8-XG2 seems to have some thermal
>> monitoring chip/hardware:
>
>> * Monitoring for CPU and chassis environment
>> * CPU thermal trip support
>> * Thermal Monitor 2 support
>
>> When running lm-sensors 2.10.1-3 (with libsensors3) on a Debian
> Etch box
>> I get:
>
>> # sensors
>> No sensors found!
>> Make sure you loaded all the kernel drivers you need.
>> Try sensors-detect to find out which these are.
>
>> This is the output for "sensors-detect":
>
>
> ================================================== =======================================
>
>
>> (..)
>> # I2C adapter drivers
>> i2c-i801
>> # Chip drivers
>> # Warning: the required module lm93 is not currently installed
>> # on your system. For status of 2.6 kernel ports check
>> # http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices. If driver is built
>> # into the kernel, or unavailable, comment out the following line.
>> lm93
>> # no driver for Nat. Semi. PC87427 Super IO Fan Sensors yet
>
> Did you go to the mentioned web site to look to see whether the
> PC87427 is supported by lm-sensors 2.10.1-3?

*I* did. But then, I'm not the OP.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

ESPN makes baseball players better.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFINDA0S9HxQb37XmcRAkYNAJ92c4MyRlIXuc6ImfQpPo eHBqyZuwCdGnZ9
7REydo8u8cLZ6JQ8zEdTMfk=
=8T5c
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom
 
Default Monitor CPU temperature in a Supermicro X6DH8-XG2

Ron Johnson wrote:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 05/21/08 09:01, Brian Schrock wrote:


On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net
<mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net>> wrote:

On 05/21/08 06:45, Santi Saez wrote:


Dear Srs,
I need to get the CPU temperature in a Supermicro X6DH8-XG2

motherboard,

this is the link for key features:


http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon800/E7520/X6DH8-XG2.cfm


According with the page specs, X6DH8-XG2 seems to have some thermal
monitoring chip/hardware:
* Monitoring for CPU and chassis environment
* CPU thermal trip support
* Thermal Monitor 2 support
When running lm-sensors 2.10.1-3 (with libsensors3) on a Debian

Etch box

I get:
# sensors
No sensors found!
Make sure you loaded all the kernel drivers you need.
Try sensors-detect to find out which these are.
This is the output for "sensors-detect":


================================================== =======================================



(..)
# I2C adapter drivers
i2c-i801
# Chip drivers
# Warning: the required module lm93 is not currently installed
# on your system. For status of 2.6 kernel ports check
# http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices. If driver is built
# into the kernel, or unavailable, comment out the following line.
lm93
# no driver for Nat. Semi. PC87427 Super IO Fan Sensors yet

Did you go to the mentioned web site to look to see whether the
PC87427 is supported by lm-sensors 2.10.1-3?


*I* did. But then, I'm not the OP.



Let's see. How do I say this... The suspense is killing me... *Is the
PC87427 chip supported?*



Hugo




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Ron Johnson
 
Default Monitor CPU temperature in a Supermicro X6DH8-XG2

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 05/21/08 11:02, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>>
>> On 05/21/08 09:01, Brian Schrock wrote:
[snip]
>>> Did you go to the mentioned web site to look to see whether the
>>> PC87427 is supported by lm-sensors 2.10.1-3?
>>
>> *I* did. But then, I'm not the OP.
>>
>
> Let's see. How do I say this... The suspense is killing me... *Is the
> PC87427 chip supported?*

http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices knows all, tells all.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

ESPN makes baseball players better.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFINEodS9HxQb37XmcRAnGsAJwIq7iGuWaoRcVD6/Cm/UqoGq7+KwCeMamB
xnEMu5WwhJsfi3fmRGtBr6M=
=kSr8
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Florian Kulzer
 
Default Monitor CPU temperature in a Supermicro X6DH8-XG2

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 09:22:44 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 08:02:42 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

> > Did you go to the mentioned web site to look to see whether the
> > PC87427 is supported by lm-sensors 2.10.1-3?
>
> *I* did. But then, I'm not the OP.

Why are you talking to yourself?

--
Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
Florian |


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Florian Kulzer
 
Default Monitor CPU temperature in a Supermicro X6DH8-XG2

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 13:45:19 +0200, Santi Saez wrote:
>
> Dear Srs,
>
> I need to get the CPU temperature in a Supermicro X6DH8-XG2 motherboard,
> this is the link for key features:
>
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon800/E7520/X6DH8-
> XG2.cfm

[...]

> # modprobe -l | grep lm93
> # modprobe lm93
> FATAL: Module lm93 not found.

Are you using Etch? The 2.6.18 kernel does not have this module. I think
you need at least 2.6.23.

--
Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
Florian |


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom
 
Default Monitor CPU temperature in a Supermicro X6DH8-XG2

Florian Kulzer wrote:

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 13:45:19 +0200, Santi Saez wrote:

Dear Srs,

I need to get the CPU temperature in a Supermicro X6DH8-XG2 motherboard,
this is the link for key features:


http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon800/E7520/X6DH8-
XG2.cfm


[...]


# modprobe -l | grep lm93
# modprobe lm93
FATAL: Module lm93 not found.


Are you using Etch? The 2.6.18 kernel does not have this module. I think
you need at least 2.6.23.



http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices

says you need 2.6.20

Hugo



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Celejar
 
Default Monitor CPU temperature in a Supermicro X6DH8-XG2

On Wed, 21 May 2008 19:17:03 +0200
Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:

> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 09:22:44 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 08:02:42 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > Did you go to the mentioned web site to look to see whether the
> > > PC87427 is supported by lm-sensors 2.10.1-3?
> >
> > *I* did. But then, I'm not the OP.
>
> Why are you talking to yourself?

"What? In riddles? said Gandalf. "No! For I was talking
aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person
present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are
wearying."

http://books.google.com/books?id=H9uykGk18WQC&pg=PA485&lpg=PA485&dq=gandal f+wisest+person+present&source=web&ots=2ASu-IQFXk&sig=rYoZI8phP59O2yBSxwfnERX8FMw

> Florian |

Celejar
--
mailmin.sourceforge.net - remote access via secure (OpenPGP) email
ssuds.sourceforge.net - A Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:31 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org