Old 05-21-2008, 01:45 AM
Glenn Becker

Default screen resolution question

Hi all -

I am running a testing box. Recently, it seems, my X settings
changed (w/o my intentionally changing them, at least as far as I can
recall) so that the screen resolution on Gnome, for example, it was
defaulting to 1400x1050. It is nice to see that my older laptop can
handle this, but ... I also have older eyes and prefer a setting of
1024x768.

So I went looking into the xorg.conf file, and found that ... no default
screen res appeared to be set! In fact the file contains almost _no_
details and consists mainly of a lot of sections that look like this:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"

... making it look like a lot of the X configuration is handled
automatically.

Well, great ... cough ... I would rather it _wasn't_ handled
automatically, because I want to choose my own settings. I've handrolled
my own .conf files for X for ages ... is there any way for me to do this
and not have my settings overwritten by an automated thingum that has no
idea what my specific needs are?

If this is an attempt at an improvement I cannot say I care much for it.
Certainly I can change the settings via the Gnome GUI, but this doesn't
help me if (as often happens on my old machine) I'd rather just run
Fluxbox.

Sorry if this is an ignorant question and has been asked before. If I need
to RTFM, just let me know where to find the relevant M and I will RTF
thing.

Thx,

Glenn

Old 05-21-2008, 02:23 AM
Ron Johnson

On 05/20/08 20:45, Glenn Becker wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> I am running a testing box. Recently, it seems, my X settings changed
> (w/o my intentionally changing them, at least as far as I can recall) so
> that the screen resolution on Gnome, for example, it was defaulting to
> 1400x1050. It is nice to see that my older laptop can handle this, but
> ... I also have older eyes and prefer a setting of 1024x768.
>
> So I went looking into the xorg.conf file, and found that ... no default
> screen res appeared to be set! In fact the file contains almost _no_
> details and consists mainly of a lot of sections that look like this:
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Configured Video Device"
>
> ... making it look like a lot of the X configuration is handled
> automatically.
>
> Well, great ... cough ... I would rather it _wasn't_ handled
> automatically, because I want to choose my own settings. I've handrolled
> my own .conf files for X for ages ... is there any way for me to do this
> and not have my settings overwritten by an automated thingum that has no
> idea what my specific needs are?
>
> If this is an attempt at an improvement I cannot say I care much for it.
> Certainly I can change the settings via the Gnome GUI, but this doesn't
> help me if (as often happens on my old machine) I'd rather just run
> Fluxbox.
>
> Sorry if this is an ignorant question and has been asked before. If I
> need to RTFM, just let me know where to find the relevant M and I will
> RTF thing.

So there's no /Section "Screen"/?

Mine looks like this:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
# Device "nVidia Corporation Unknown"
Monitor "GatewayVX112"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
Option "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 1
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 4
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 15
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

ESPN makes baseball players better.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:57 AM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Glenn Becker wrote:

Hi all -

I am running a testing box. Recently, it seems, my X settings changed
(w/o my intentionally changing them, at least as far as I can recall) so
that the screen resolution on Gnome, for example, it was defaulting to
1400x1050. It is nice to see that my older laptop can handle this, but
... I also have older eyes and prefer a setting of 1024x768.

AFAIK dpkg saves a backup of the xorg.conf file suffixed with the
date/time of modification. Just try replacing the exisiting xorg.conf
with the backup.

[...]

Glenn Becker - burningc@sdf.lonestar.org

-- Albert Einstein

Old 05-21-2008, 08:15 AM
Mirko Parthey

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 01:45:44AM +0000, Glenn Becker wrote:
> I am running a testing box. Recently, it seems, my X settings
> changed (w/o my intentionally changing them, at least as far as I can
> recall) so that the screen resolution on Gnome, for example, it was
> defaulting to 1400x1050. It is nice to see that my older laptop can
> handle this, but ... I also have older eyes and prefer a setting of
> 1024x768.
>
> So I went looking into the xorg.conf file, and found that ... no default
> screen res appeared to be set! In fact the file contains almost _no_
> details and consists mainly of a lot of sections that look like this:
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Configured Video Device"
>
> ... making it look like a lot of the X configuration is handled
> automatically.
>
> Well, great ... cough ... I would rather it _wasn't_ handled
> automatically, because I want to choose my own settings. I've handrolled
> my own .conf files for X for ages ... is there any way for me to do this
> and not have my settings overwritten by an automated thingum that has no
> idea what my specific needs are?
>
> If this is an attempt at an improvement I cannot say I care much for it.
> Certainly I can change the settings via the Gnome GUI, but this doesn't
> help me if (as often happens on my old machine) I'd rather just run
> Fluxbox.

Please see my reply to a similar question at

Best regards,
Mirko

Old 05-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Glenn Becker

I stupidly deleted a response to my question regarding my "skeletal"
xorg.conf file. IIRC, the question was whether my file did not in fact
have a "Screen" section. It does, but it is as empty as the other
sections.

Since it doesn't amount to much, the whole thing follows.

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Old 05-21-2008, 11:21 PM
John Hasler

Glenn Becker writes:
> I stupidly deleted a response to my question regarding my "skeletal"
> xorg.conf file. IIRC, the question was whether my file did not in fact
> have a "Screen" section. It does, but it is as empty as the other
> sections.

Just fill the section in with what you want there.
--
John Hasler

Old 05-21-2008, 11:42 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

Glenn Becker wrote:

I stupidly deleted a response to my question regarding my "skeletal"
xorg.conf file. IIRC, the question was whether my file did not in fact
have a "Screen" section. It does, but it is as empty as the other
sections.

Since it doesn't amount to much, the whole thing follows.

snip

Not much is needed now days.

This is from the post that Mirko Parthey posted:
http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12 a good read.

you can add an "Option" along these lines under Monitor:

Option "PreferredMode" "1024x768_60.00" (assuming 60hz refresh rate, if
it is something else, change _60.00 to something else)

Old way: Under Screen

Option
SubSection "Display"

Depth 24
Modes "1024x768" "somexother" "somexother" (note: the
first one would be the preferred resolution, the 2nd and following could
actually be higher if you wanted it)

I still use the old method: I use nvidia and twinview and I don't know
any other way to get 2880x900 out of two monitors that run 1440x900.

take the time to read that page, it should clear up the issue for you.

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 05-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Glenn Becker

This is from the post that Mirko Parthey posted:
http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12 a good read.

you can add an "Option" along these lines under Monitor:

Option "PreferredMode" "1024x768_60.00" (assuming 60hz refresh rate, if
it is something else, change _60.00 to something else)

ahh ...

take the time to read that page, it should clear up the issue for you.

many thanks. I should follow developments more closely, I guess, but I run
a multi-boot box and stuff slips through.

GB

Old 05-22-2008, 01:08 AM
Glenn Becker

take the time to read that page, it should clear up the issue for you.

OK ... I got my xorg.conf fixed up to my liking. Now ...

... for me, the real issue here isn't the need to learn something new:
shoot, that's fun. The issue for me here was that, as far as I was aware,
it just changed and I had to ask "uh, what th-?", then go back and read up
on it. I guess what I would like to know is -- to what mailing list
should I be subscribed so that I know about such things as they are
happening?

At first I thought, "oh, that must be debian-announce" but then I looked
at the archives of that list and it obviously isnt' there.

What do I need to be reading? -user is too high volume to really follow
everything.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment, and apologies if that's a dumb Q.

Regards,

Glenn