Old 05-19-2008, 11:09 PM
Bill

Default acpi kernel modules - obsolete or not?

Hi folks,

I'm building a new 2.6.25 kernel for my laptop and when I boot
it I get the message:
Can't access ACPI events in /var/run/acpid.socket.
Make sure the ACPI subsystem is working and the acpid daemon
is running.

Well no, the subsystem is not working and the acpid daemon
was not running. The power applet says the system is running
on AC power. No battery is present (false). acpid is installed
but doesn't start. The error message is: acpid: can't open
/proc/acpid/event: No such file or directory.

So I went back to the kernel and recompiled after enabling
in Power Management/ACPI/
config_acpi_proc_event
config_acpi_procfs
config_acpi_procfs_power
This worked. The error messages disappeared and the battery
power icon showed up and indicates that the battery is
now present.

These features are supposed to be deprecated. But clearly
at least one major applet depends upon them. Have they been
successfully replaced? Or is there something else I should
be enabling in the kernel? Should I report this as a bug?
To whom? Is it a kernel bug or a Gnome bug?

b.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:55 AM
Mark Allums

Bill wrote:

[...]

ACPI will be replaced, but it's APM (and Plug-and-Play) that is
deprecated in favor of ACPI. It is widely needed by billions of
motherboards, and won't be eliminated entirely anytime soon.

Mark Allums

Old 05-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Bill

On Mon, 2008-19-05 at 21:55 -0500, Mark Allums wrote:
> ACPI will be replaced, but it's APM (and Plug-and-Play) that is
> deprecated in favor of ACPI. It is widely needed by billions of
> motherboards, and won't be eliminated entirely anytime soon.

Well have a look at the 2.6.25 documentation in something like
menuconfig. It clearly states that these particular features are
deprecated. Now.

b.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 04:17:00AM -0700, Bill wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-19-05 at 21:55 -0500, Mark Allums wrote:
> > ACPI will be replaced, but it's APM (and Plug-and-Play) that is
> > deprecated in favor of ACPI. It is widely needed by billions of
> > motherboards, and won't be eliminated entirely anytime soon.
>
> Well have a look at the 2.6.25 documentation in something like
> menuconfig. It clearly states that these particular features are
> deprecated. Now.

I'm not fully up-to-date on this, but it is my understanding that the
acpi interface has been moved from /proc to /sys, but the acpi tools
(apicd, etc) haven't been changed to reflect that yet. But that's all
based on information from a few months ago, so salt liberally.