Old 05-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Julien Barnier

Default Alt-gr key not working correctly under X after a testing upgrade

Hi,

I recently made a «dist-upgrade» on my Thinkpad T21 laptop under
Debian testing (xerver-xorg v7.3+10, kernel 2.6.24-6).

Since then I have a very strange behavior of the «Alt-Gr» key under X
(works fine in a terminal outside of X). The key has an effect, but
linefeed. The pipe does not work at all.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Julien

Here is the content of the relevant xorg.conf section :

,----
| Section "InputDevice"
| Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
| Driver "kbd"
| Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
| Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
| Option "XkbLayout" "fr"
| Option "XkbVariant" "latin9"
| EndSection
`----

Here is the result of xev on a AltGr keypress, and a AltGr+3 keypress :

,----
| KeyPress event, serial 21, synthetic NO, window 0xe00001,
| root 0x46, subw 0x0, time 5134475, (622,377), root623,378),
| state 0x0, keycode 113 (keysym 0xfe03, ISO_Level3_Shift), same_screen YES,
| XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
| XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
| XFilterEvent returns: False
|
| KeyRelease event, serial 24, synthetic NO, window 0xe00001,
| root 0x46, subw 0x0, time 5134555, (622,377), root623,378),
| state 0x88, keycode 113 (keysym 0xfe03, ISO_Level3_Shift), same_screen YES,
| XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
| XFilterEvent returns: False
|
| KeyPress event, serial 24, synthetic NO, window 0xe00001,
| root 0x46, subw 0x0, time 5135793, (622,377), root623,378),
| state 0x0, keycode 113 (keysym 0xfe03, ISO_Level3_Shift), same_screen YES,
| XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
| XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
| XFilterEvent returns: False
|
| KeyPress event, serial 24, synthetic NO, window 0xe00001,
| root 0x46, subw 0x0, time 5135897, (622,377), root623,378),
| state 0x88, keycode 12 (keysym 0x23, numbersign), same_screen YES,
| XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (23) "#"
| XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (23) "#"
| XFilterEvent returns: False
|
| KeyRelease event, serial 24, synthetic NO, window 0xe00001,
| root 0x46, subw 0x0, time 5135977, (622,377), root623,378),
| state 0x88, keycode 12 (keysym 0x23, numbersign), same_screen YES,
| XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (23) "#"
| XFilterEvent returns: False
|
| KeyRelease event, serial 24, synthetic NO, window 0xe00001,
| root 0x46, subw 0x0, time 5136079, (622,377), root623,378),
| state 0x88, keycode 113 (keysym 0xfe03, ISO_Level3_Shift), same_screen YES,
| XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
| XFilterEvent returns: False
`----

Here is the result of xmodmap -pke :

,----
`----

--
Julien

Old 05-20-2008, 02:44 AM
"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso"

2008/5/19 Julien Barnier <julien@no-log.org>:
> I recently made a «dist-upgrade» on my Thinkpad T21 laptop under
> Debian testing (xerver-xorg v7.3+10, kernel 2.6.24-6).

Another one with keyboard problems... do we have a filed bug for this already?

My own keyboard also got wonky about last week or so.

- Jordi G. H.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Julien Barnier

Hi,

> I tried this configuration and it works for me. AltGr+3 produces "#" and
> AltGr+6 produces "|". I run Sid, but you should have the same versions
> of xserver-xorg-input-kbd (1:1.2.2-3) and xkb-data
> (1.2~cvs.20080501.1-1) if your Lenny system is up-to-date. I do have a
> newer kernel (2.6.25), but I think this is an Xorg issue and not a
> kernel problem.

Yes, you're right, the versions are the same, except that I run &
2.6.24 kernel.

> I compared my output for "xmodmap -pke" with yours. The only thing that
> diff turns up is that I have shifted Multi_key from keycode 227 to
> keycode 116 (where you have Super_R). I don't think this should make any
> difference. Can you post your modifier map, i.e. the output of "xmodmap
> -pm"?

In fact, thanks to your help, I think I solved the problem, which was
caused by my .xmodmaprc.

My previous xmodmaprc was the following :

,----[ xmodmaprc ]
| clear Lock
| keycode 227 = Multi_key
| add Mod4 = Caps_Lock
| add Lock = Multi_key
`----

And I found that these settings, since the upgrade, did modify the
Mod5 modifier by removing one of the ISO_Level3_Shift from it.

Then I changed my .xmodmaprc to the following :

,----[ .xmodmaprc ]
| clear Lock
| keycode 227 = Multi_key
| keycode 113 = ISO_Level3_Shift
| add Lock = Multi_key
| add Mod4 = Caps_Lock
| add Mod5 = ISO_Level3_Shift
`----

And now it seems to work right.

What I find strange is that everything was fine befor my upgrade, but
maybe my original xmodmaprc was buggy, as I am very far form an expert
in these sort of things...

Thanks for your help !

--
Julien

Old 05-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Julien Barnier

Hi,

Sorry to answer to myself...

> Then I changed my .xmodmaprc to the following :
>
> ,----[ .xmodmaprc ]
> | clear Lock
> | keycode 227 = Multi_key
> | keycode 113 = ISO_Level3_Shift
> | add Lock = Multi_key
> | add Mod4 = Caps_Lock
> | add Mod5 = ISO_Level3_Shift
> `----
>
> And now it seems to work right.

It fact no, these settings don't seem to work. But at least I know
where the problem comes from and I think I'll find a correct xmodmparc
soon.

Thanks again,

--
Julien