-   -   Default X resolution (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/91063-default-x-resolution.html)

Alan Ianson 05-19-2008 03:46 PM

Default X resolution

Is it possible to get x to use 1024x768 by default that way xfree86 used to
do? I would still like other resolutions available so I can use them when I
need them but most of the time 1024x768 does what I want.

"Damon L. Chesser" 05-19-2008 03:58 PM

Alan Ianson wrote:
Is it possible to get x to use 1024x768 by default that way xfree86 used to
do? I would still like other resolutions available so I can use them when I
need them but most of the time 1024x768 does what I want.

Alan,

Yes.

man xorg.conf.

Modes "mode-name" ...
This optional entry specifies the list of video modes to use. Each
mode-name specified must be in double quotes. They must corre‐
spond to those specified or referenced in the appropriate Monitor
section (including implicitly referenced built-in VESA standard
modes). The server will delete modes from this list which don’t satisfy
various requirements. The first valid mode in this list
will be the default display mode for startup. The list of valid modes is
converted internally into a circular list. It is possi‐
ble to switch to the next mode with Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-Plus and to the
previous mode with Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-Minus. When this entry is
omitted, the valid modes referenced by the appropriate Monitor section
will be used. If the Monitor section contains no modes,

then the selection will be taken from the built-in VESA standard modes.

Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768" "some other value here" "a nother value here"
EndSubSection

Looks like an Xorg kinda of a day!

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Mirko Parthey 05-19-2008 08:16 PM

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 11:58:24AM -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> >Is it possible to get x to use 1024x768 by default that way xfree86 used
> >to do? I would still like other resolutions available so I can use them
> >when I need them but most of the time 1024x768 does what I want.
>
> Yes.
>
> man xorg.conf.
>
> Subsection "Display"
> Depth 24
> Modes "1024x768" "some other value here" "a nother value here"
> EndSubSection

Your solution applies to Debian Etch, but it didn't work for me
in testing/unstable anymore.

This page gives more details about modern X configuration:
http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

I added this line to the "Monitor" Section:
Option "PreferredMode" "1280x960"
It even worked without a modeline - X already came with a suitable mode.

Regards,
Mirko