Old 05-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Samuel Bächler

Default problems installing openoffice.org in etch

Here it is, no error messages:

Now, what lead to the solution?

s.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Marcelo Chiapparini

Samuel Bächler wrote:
Here it is, no error messages:

Now, what lead to the solution?

s.

Well, I am thinking about:

a) cry
b) use a hammer
c) go back to the 32 bit architecture as soon as possible. Many problems
with the amd64 port, for me at last...

M.

--
Marcelo Chiapparini

Old 05-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Florian Kulzer

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 17:56:24 -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
>>
>> [...]

[...]

>>> Hi! follows a copy of my /etc/apt/sources.list file. Just in case, I
>>> am using the amd64 port of etch...
>>>
>>> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
>>
>> That should work; this mirror has the .deb file right here:
>> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/stlport4.6/libstlport4.6c2_4.6.2-3_amd64.deb
>>
>> What happens if you run "aptitude update"? Are there any error messages?
>>

> Here it is, no error messages:
>
> marcelo@nostromo2:~$ sudo aptitude update

[ lines not pertaining to http.us.debian.org removed ]

> Get:1 http://http.us.debian.org etch Release.gpg [378B]
> Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch Release
> Ign http://http.us.debian.org etch/main Packages/DiffIndex
> Ign http://http.us.debian.org etch/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
> Ign http://http.us.debian.org etch/non-free Packages/DiffIndex
> Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch/main Packages
> Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch/contrib Packages
> Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch/non-free Packages

That does look OK indeed. Do you now see the package available with
"apt-cache policy libstlport4.6c2"?

Florian |

Old 05-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Marcelo Chiapparini

Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

Hi Florian,

here is the output. The package is still missing:

marcelo@nostromo2:~$ apt-cache policy libstlport4.6c2
libstlport4.6c2:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: (none)
Version table:
4.6.2-3 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

What about installing libstlport4.6c2 by hand? downloading the .deb file
and using dpkg -i? of course, I will have to care about dependences by
hand too. Does this make sense?

I use synaptic for installing packages. Yesterday, when I ran synaptic,
it complained about a dependence problem, asking to use "Fix broken
packages" before installing anything. After that, the problem with the
installation of openoffice begun. May be both things are related? I
don't know...

thanks a lot for your time!

--
Marcelo Chiapparini

Old 05-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 11:51:17 -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

>>> Here it is, no error messages:
>>>
>>> marcelo@nostromo2:~$ sudo aptitude update
>>
>> [ lines not pertaining to http.us.debian.org removed ]
>>
>>> Get:1 http://http.us.debian.org etch Release.gpg [378B]
>>> Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch Release
>>> Ign http://http.us.debian.org etch/main Packages/DiffIndex
>>> Ign http://http.us.debian.org etch/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
>>> Ign http://http.us.debian.org etch/non-free Packages/DiffIndex
>>> Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch/main Packages
>>> Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch/contrib Packages
>>> Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch/non-free Packages
>>
>> That does look OK indeed. Do you now see the package available with
>> "apt-cache policy libstlport4.6c2"?
>
> Hi Florian,
>
> here is the output. The package is still missing:
>
> marcelo@nostromo2:~$ apt-cache policy libstlport4.6c2
> libstlport4.6c2:
> Installed: (none)
> Candidate: (none)
> Version table:
> 4.6.2-3 0
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> What about installing libstlport4.6c2 by hand? downloading the .deb file
> and using dpkg -i? of course, I will have to care about dependences by
> hand too. Does this make sense?

That is possible, but it will be a lot of work to download all the
dependencies (and the dependencies of the dependencies, etc.) yourself.

> I use synaptic for installing packages. Yesterday, when I ran synaptic,
> it complained about a dependence problem, asking to use "Fix broken
> packages" before installing anything. After that, the problem with the
> installation of openoffice begun. May be both things are related? I
> don't know...

I would like to know how long the Packages file for http.us.debian.org
is on your system. Please post the output of:

ls -lh /var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_stable_main_binary-amd64_Packages

Also, you can check if this file lists the libstlport4.6c2 package:

grep -A7 '^Package: libstlport4.6c2' /var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_stable_main_binary-amd64_Packages

Other things you can try:

Maybe there is a problem with the Packages file on your computer and it
does not get corrected because apt(itude) only downloads the index file
diffs by default. You can force a new download of the whole Packages
file with this:

aptitude -o Acquire::PDiffs=false update

(This will download several MB, so it might take a while depending on
your network connection.)

If all else fails, try another mirror.

Florian |

Old 05-20-2008, 05:23 PM
"Mumia W.."

[...]

You shouldn't have to do that.

I use synaptic for installing packages. Yesterday, when I ran synaptic,
it complained about a dependence problem, asking to use "Fix broken
packages" before installing anything. After that, the problem with the
installation of openoffice begun. May be both things are related? I
don't know...

thanks a lot for your time!

Something seems to be broken with your apt system. Please don't muss
your system on my account, but I would delete (or move) everything in
/var/cache/apt/* . Those things should be recreated by the next
"aptitude update" (and possibly "apt-file update").

The way I see it, you've performed all the steps necessary to get
libstlport4.6c2 recognized by apt-get as an installation option, so
something must be wrong with apt.

Do this:

cd /var/cache/apt
mkdir /var/trash.d
mv /var/cache/apt/* /var/trash.d/
aptitude update

Then do the "apt-cache policy libstlport4.6c2" again. The package should
appear this time. If not, I'm mystified.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Marcelo Chiapparini

Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

Florian, I have that file with "etch" in the place of "stable". So:

marcelo@nostromo2:~$ ls -lh
/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_main_binary-amd64_Packages
-rw-r--r-- 1 root marcelo 2.3M 2008-05-19 10:33
/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_main_binary-amd64_Packages

Also, you can check if this file lists the libstlport4.6c2 package:

grep -A7 '^Package: libstlport4.6c2' /var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_stable_main_binary-amd64_Packages

Nothing is returned:

marcelo@nostromo2:~$ grep -A7 '^Package: libstlport4.6c2'
/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_main_binary-amd64_Packages
marcelo@nostromo2:~$

Other things you can try:

Maybe there is a problem with the Packages file on your computer and it
does not get corrected because apt(itude) only downloads the index file
diffs by default. You can force a new download of the whole Packages
file with this:

aptitude -o Acquire::PDiffs=false update

Follows the output:

marcelo@nostromo2:~$ sudo aptitude -o Acquire::PDiffs=false update
Get:1 http://security.debian.org etch/updates Release.gpg [189B]
Get:2 http://security.debian.org etch/updates Release [37.6kB]
Get:3 http://http.us.debian.org etch Release.gpg [378B]
Get:4 http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch Release.gpg [189B]
Get:5 http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Packages [254kB]
Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch/contrib Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch/non-free Packages
Get:6 http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch Release [9434B]
Get:7 http://www.backports.org etch-backports Release.gpg [189B]
Get:8 http://www.backports.org etch-backports Release [43.7kB]
Hit http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch/main Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/contrib Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/non-free Packages
Get:9 http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Sources [40.7kB]
Get:10 http://www.backports.org etch-backports/main Packages [315kB]
Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/contrib Sources
Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/non-free Sources
Hit http://www.backports.org etch-backports/contrib Packages
Hit http://www.backports.org etch-backports/non-free Packages
Fetched 700kB in 47s (14.8kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done

After this, libstlport4.6c2 is still missing...

marcelo@nostromo2:~$ grep -A7 '^Package: libstlport4.6c2'
/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_main_binary-amd64_Packages
marcelo@nostromo2:~$

If all else fails, try another mirror.

I'll do. Thanks a *lot* for your patience and time!

Marcelo

--
Marcelo Chiapparini

Old 05-20-2008, 10:39 PM
Marcelo Chiapparini

Mumia W.. wrote:

[...]

OK! I will try this and let you know. Thank you very much for the
suggestion.

Marcelo

--
Marcelo Chiapparini