Old 05-19-2008, 04:22 AM
"Dmitryi & Elf"

Default Anti-gaming Behaviour of Keyboard Driver

In summary, the problem is simple...

The default keyboard driver doesn't allow multiple simultaneous key
presses. This is a big problem for an FPS, as it means the player can
either strafe, turn, or shoot. Looks like only four or so keys can be
pressed simultaneously (tested with a couple Quake clients, Tyr Quake and
Tenebrae). This might be an X limitation (?)

Ergo, the question is... Is this an artificial limit that can be lifted
somewhere in config files, is this an X problem, or can this be solved by
replacement of the keyboard driver (current keyboard is PS/2).

Distribution is sid (current).

Old 05-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Jochen Schulz

Dmitryi & Elf:

> The default keyboard driver doesn't allow multiple simultaneous key
> presses. This is a big problem for an FPS, as it means the player can
> either strafe, turn, or shoot. Looks like only four or so keys can be
> pressed simultaneously (tested with a couple Quake clients, Tyr Quake and
> Tenebrae). This might be an X limitation (?)

On my system, pressing multiple keys at once (for example in Quake3
Arena, which doesn't run properly for other reasons here) works fine.
You might want to check your settings in xorg.conf and your desktop
environment's keyboard and/or accessability settings.

J.
--
I like my Toyota RAV4 because of the commanding view of the traffic
jams.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:19 AM
"Dmitryi & Elf"

On Mon, 19 May 2008 03:18:17 -0500, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de>
The default keyboard driver doesn't allow multiple simultaneous key
presses. This is a big problem for an FPS, as it means the player can
either strafe, turn, or shoot. Looks like only four or so keys can be
pressed simultaneously (tested with a couple Quake clients, Tyr Quake
and

Tenebrae). This might be an X limitation (?)

On my system, pressing multiple keys at once (for example in Quake3
Arena, which doesn't run properly for other reasons here) works fine.
You might want to check your settings in xorg.conf and your desktop
environment's keyboard and/or accessability settings.

Which section of xorg.conf?

KDE settings don't help much...

J.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:49 AM
"Dmitryi & Elf"

The default keyboard driver doesn't allow multiple simultaneous key
presses. This is a big problem for an FPS, as it means the player can
either strafe, turn, or shoot. Looks like only four or so keys can be
pressed simultaneously (tested with a couple Quake clients, Tyr Quake
and Tenebrae). This might be an X limitation (?)
Ergo, the question is... Is this an artificial limit that can be
lifted somewhere in config files, is this an X problem, or can this be
solved by replacement of the keyboard driver (current keyboard is PS/2).

Distribution is sid (current).

The limitation might also be in the keyboard itself.
I found a thread on the logitech website about this:
http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/board/message?board.id=hardware&message.id=228&page=1

It isn't the keyboard, of course, as the problem isn't there under Windows
or DOS. Something somewhere is limiting the number of simultaneous
keystrokes.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:57 AM
"Dmitryi & Elf"

Actually the problem is more straightforward. Quake locks key input when
[Control] is pressed. That key is bound to fire, so until the fire action
is released, the game won't recognise any new keypresses. Looks like
scancodes get modified with [Control], and the game can't recognise them
as valid bindings.

A different key bound to +attack fixes it, but still, this is a bug in the
three Quake ports installed.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:20 PM
"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso"

On 18/05/2008, Dmitryi & Elf <sidhechapel@prodigy.net.mx> wrote:
> The default keyboard driver doesn't allow multiple simultaneous key
> presses. This is a big problem for an FPS, as it means the player can either
> strafe, turn, or shoot. Looks like only four or so keys can be pressed
> simultaneously (tested with a couple Quake clients, Tyr Quake and Tenebrae).
> This might be an X limitation (?)

Out of curiousity, does this happen with Nexuiz as well?

- Jordi G. H.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:38 AM

On May 19, 12:40 pm, "Dmitryi & Elf" <sidhecha...@prodigy.net.mx>
wrote:
> Actually the problem is more straightforward. Quake locks key input when
> [Control] is pressed. That key is bound to fire, so until the fire action
> is released, the game won't recognise any new keypresses. Looks like
> scancodes get modified with [Control], and the game can't recognise them
> as valid bindings.
>
> A different key bound to +attack fixes it, but still, this is a bug in the
> three Quake ports installed.

Uhm...in my case I don't think it's the same issue. For some reason I
can't strafe backwards; this is, the combination of backpedal+strafe
works, but it doesn't get any more input, so I can't jump. I thought
it was a limitation of my keyboard...

Old 05-20-2008, 11:36 PM
"Dmitryi & Elf"

Out of curiousity, does this happen with Nexuiz as well?

- Jordi G. H.

Not installed.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:38 PM
"Dmitryi & Elf"

Uhm...in my case I don't think it's the same issue. For some reason I
can't strafe backwards; this is, the combination of backpedal+strafe
works, but it doesn't get any more input, so I can't jump.

It does seem like the same issue. Snag is, shift also modifies keycodes.
The only usable modifier key is [Alt]; as an experiment, you could try
binding [Alt] to +attack ("fire" in some other engine), and activate
"always run" (+speed in the console for regular Quake; running will be on
until -speed is issued). With a couple keys bound to +strafeleft/right,
and a non-modifier key bound to "jump", the layout should allow jumping
too.

The working layout is: [Z], [X] - strafe left/right; [Alt] - +attack;
cursor arrows - move forward/backward, turn left/right; [A] - jump.

I thought
it was a limitation of my keyboard...

No, it's a limitation of either SDL, X, Linux keyboard driver, or Quake
source itself, either of which can't recognise/filter key scancodes
modified with [Control] and [Shift]. [Alt]-modified keycodes seem to be
filtered correctly though.