FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-18-2008, 03:20 PM
"s. keeling"
 
Default Assumed bug in Debian Sid: monitor cannot be reconfigured with dpkg-reconfigure

Uwe Bugla <uwe.bugla@gmx.de>:
>
> I am running the latest Debian Lenny / Sid combination and wanted

Lenny is testing. Sid is unstable. There is no "Lenny / Sid", except
of your making.

> to adjust a workstation to another monitor.
>
> Traditionallly that works by the following command:
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.
>
> If I run that command, the script ends up with the question whether to emulate
> a 3-button mouse or not.
>
> Can someone reading this reproduce this bug?

Why do you consider this a bug? You're reconfiguring the X server and
the mouse is part of that. Do you have a three-button mouse? If so,
say no to the emulation.

> Can you please fix it?

It's not broken.


--
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
(*) http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html Linux Counter #80292
- - http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html Please, don't Cc: me.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-18-2008, 11:30 PM
"thveillon.debian"
 
Default Assumed bug in Debian Sid: monitor cannot be reconfigured with dpkg-reconfigure

Florian Kulzer wrote :

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 17:20:05 +0200, s. keeling wrote:

Uwe Bugla wrote:


I am running the latest Debian Lenny / Sid combination and wanted


Lenny is testing. Sid is unstable. There is no "Lenny / Sid", except
of your making.



He is probably simply quoting what he sees at every VT login prompt:
"Debian GNU/Linux lenny/sid". There is no need to bark at him like that.



to adjust a workstation to another monitor.

Traditionallly that works by the following command:
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.

If I run that command, the script ends up with the question whether to emulate
a 3-button mouse or not.


Can someone reading this reproduce this bug?


Why do you consider this a bug? You're reconfiguring the X server and
the mouse is part of that. Do you have a three-button mouse? If so,
say no to the emulation.



As he says quite clearly, he can no longer choose the monitor resolution
like he used to, because the configuration dialog now stops after the
mouse questions. There is no need to bark at him like that.



Can you please fix it?


It's not broken.



That remains to be seen. If the dialog is gone now and Xorg cannot
figure things out on its own then this may well qualify as a bug. In any
case, he has a Debian-related problem and he asked for help on the
debian-user list. There is no need to bark at him like that.


He isn't an isolated case, go have a look at forums.debian.net or
linuxquestions.org in the Debian section to mention just a few, you will
see that the supposed "automagic" function shipped with xorg just isn't
working in numerous cases (I count among them). Reminds me of the Mac a
bit, where the magic is supposed to happen behind the scene, but when it
doesn't...


Sorry I don't have a cure for the initial problem, aside from editing
the xorg.conf manually, or using something like "KXGenerator" to help
you in the process.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-19-2008, 06:48 AM
Thierry Chatelet
 
Default Assumed bug in Debian Sid: monitor cannot be reconfigured with dpkg-reconfigure

On Monday 19 May 2008 04:48:10 Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/18/08 20:51, s. keeling wrote:
> > Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es>:
> >> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 17:20:05 +0200, s. keeling wrote:
> >>> Uwe Bugla wrote:
> >>>> I am running the latest Debian Lenny / Sid combination and wanted
> >>>
> >>> Lenny is testing. Sid is unstable. There is no "Lenny / Sid", except
> >>> of your making.
> >>
> >> He is probably simply quoting what he sees at every VT login prompt:
> >> "Debian GNU/Linux lenny/sid". There is no need to bark at him like
> >> that.
> >
> > Why are you imagining all these exclamation points you're seeing?
> > They're not in my post. I wasn't "barking."
> >
> > I don't run either lenny or sid. Are their prompts broken?
> >
> > To the OP: uname -a ; cat /etc/debian_version
>
> Sid+Exprimental says...
>
> $ cat /etc/debian_version
> lenny/sid
>
> --
> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> Jefferson LA USA
>
> ESPN makes baseball players better.

Look at man xorg
Xorg -configure should give you a new xorg.conf that you can modify yourself
if needed.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-19-2008, 07:58 AM
Ron Johnson
 
Default Assumed bug in Debian Sid: monitor cannot be reconfigured with dpkg-reconfigure

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 05/19/08 01:48, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
[snip]
>
> Look at man xorg
> Xorg -configure should give you a new xorg.conf that you can modify yourself
> if needed.

Check your calendar. This is 2008, not 1998. And this is Debian,
not Slackware. We use dpkg-reconfigure.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

ESPN makes baseball players better.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFIMTM7S9HxQb37XmcRAvBgAKCuwUfjwiG28GTpABY/g+1pe2htmQCfZINA
NdxX4veMq0eR/xgImphFukQ=
=ti4H
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-19-2008, 02:30 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"
 
Default Assumed bug in Debian Sid: monitor cannot be reconfigured with dpkg-reconfigure

Ron Johnson wrote:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 05/19/08 01:48, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
[snip]


Look at man xorg
Xorg -configure should give you a new xorg.conf that you can modify yourself
if needed.



Check your calendar. This is 2008, not 1998. And this is Debian,
not Slackware. We use dpkg-reconfigure.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

ESPN makes baseball players better.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFIMTM7S9HxQb37XmcRAvBgAKCuwUfjwiG28GTpABY/g+1pe2htmQCfZINA
NdxX4veMq0eR/xgImphFukQ=
=ti4H
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----




Ron,

one of the few times I have to disagree with you: Yes this is 2008 and
we are running Debian, however, Xorg -configure will still work.


"-configure
When this option is specified, the Xorg server loads
all video driver modules, probes for available hardware, and
writes out an initial xorg.conf(5) file based on what was
detected. This option currently has some problems on
some platforms, but in most cases it is a good way to
bootstrap the configuration process. This option is only
available when the server is run as root (i.e, with
real-uid 0)."


IIRC it will drop a test config into the PWD you then can test out with
startx -config /path/to/file/just/written to test (though I am not sure
about the startx option, it might be something all together different).
I have had to do this a few times to get X configured, all though not in
about two years.


FWIW, I no longer get asked about the monitor selection after the first
time I run dpkg-reconfigure xorg.conf either.


--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dchesser


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Preston Boyington
 
Default Assumed bug in Debian Sid: monitor cannot be reconfigured with dpkg-reconfigure

Uwe Bugla wrote:
I am running the latest Debian Lenny / Sid combination and wanted to adjust a
workstation to another monitor.


Traditionallly that works by the following command:
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.

If I run that command, the script ends up with the question whether to emulate
a 3-button mouse or not.


Can someone reading this reproduce this bug?
Can you please fix it?



I can verify the same. after running 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' we
could reconfigure keyboard and mouse but nothing else. the xorg.conf
file says something like "pre-configured device" (not at machine
currently) for monitor and video card.


my question is where are the actual configuration settings located if
they are no longer in /etc/X11/xorg.conf? i want to help set up a
friends ATI video card and i normally edit the xorg.conf file to load
the modules for 3D output.


i thought my friend was crazy last night when i was trying to help him
over the phone and he couldn't find the xorg.config section i was
telling him to go to. now i will have to buy him a beer or something... :-/



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Alan Ianson
 
Default Assumed bug in Debian Sid: monitor cannot be reconfigured with dpkg-reconfigure

On Mon May 19 2008 07:58:01 am Preston Boyington wrote:
> Uwe Bugla wrote:
> > I am running the latest Debian Lenny / Sid combination and wanted to
> > adjust a workstation to another monitor.
> >
> > Traditionallly that works by the following command:
> > dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.
> >
> > If I run that command, the script ends up with the question whether to
> > emulate a 3-button mouse or not.
> >
> > Can someone reading this reproduce this bug?
> > Can you please fix it?
>
> I can verify the same. after running 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' we
> could reconfigure keyboard and mouse but nothing else. the xorg.conf
> file says something like "pre-configured device" (not at machine
> currently) for monitor and video card.
>
> my question is where are the actual configuration settings located if
> they are no longer in /etc/X11/xorg.conf? i want to help set up a
> friends ATI video card and i normally edit the xorg.conf file to load
> the modules for 3D output.

From what I gather (from reading this thread mostly), you don't need an
xorg.conf anymore although you can still use one if need be.

The idea is that xorg probs your hardware and away it goes without the need
for any config. I good idea I think although we are in the early stages and
it may need more work.

> i thought my friend was crazy last night when i was trying to help him
> over the phone and he couldn't find the xorg.config section i was
> telling him to go to. now i will have to buy him a beer or something...
> :-/

Your friend may need a simple xorg.conf to load the ati module (it may not be
needed either, need to try it out and see) but I would say he owes you a beer
for helping him with this stuff..


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-19-2008, 03:31 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"
 
Default Assumed bug in Debian Sid: monitor cannot be reconfigured with dpkg-reconfigure

Damon L. Chesser wrote:




Ron,

one of the few times I have to disagree with you: Yes this is 2008
and we are running Debian, however, Xorg -configure will still work.


"-configure
When this option is specified, the Xorg server loads
all video driver modules, probes for available hardware, and
writes out an initial xorg.conf(5) file based on what
was detected. This option currently has some problems on
some platforms, but in most cases it is a good way
to bootstrap the configuration process. This option is only
available when the server is run as root (i.e, with
real-uid 0)."


IIRC it will drop a test config into the PWD you then can test out
with startx -config /path/to/file/just/written to test (though I am
not sure about the startx option, it might be something all together
different). I have had to do this a few times to get X configured,
all though not in about two years.


FWIW, I no longer get asked about the monitor selection after the
first time I run dpkg-reconfigure xorg.conf either.


Run Xorg -configure to probe your hardware, then run X -config
/root/xorg.conf.new to test it. How ever, this also does not give you a
monitor selection field, it only probes your hardware and inserts
reasonable defaults. So as a test, I moved xorg.conf out of the way and
started X (with out an xorg.conf at all). For some reason X did not
start (complained about not being able to open the frame buffer device,
which I am running). Sometimes this worked in the past, sometime it did
not. I suspect that if I was not running a FB, it would have started
with out a xorg.conf.

I then ran dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg (with no xorg.conf in place)
and no questions about my monitor were asked. I then started X. It
would not start due to not being able to find glx (I assume
dpkg-reconfigure "saw" I had nvidia-kernel-module loaded up, but don't
know why it did not find nvidia-glx). I ran it again, and choose not to
use a fb device. It started X just fine.


Next: I ran X -configure, then moved xorg.conf.new to
/etc/X11/xorg.conf and started gdm. It fired up with out a hickup (all
though it only used one monitor, but that was expected with out hacking
the xorg.conf file).


Conclusion: the OP is correct, for what ever reason, you get asked once
about monitor selection if you run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg (even
with -plow). I don't know if this is a bug or a design issue. Also for
what ever reason, if you get rid of my hand made xorg.conf,
dpkg-reconfigure is unable to make a working xorg.conf for me (using fb)
(YMMV) but X -configure makes one that will at least fire up (even
though it still needs to be hacked to give my my two monitors, and that
is almost understandable) and is very usable. I looked at the config
file made with both methods: X -configure has monitor freqs in it:



Section "Monitor"
#DisplaySize 410 260 # mm
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "DEL"
ModelName "DELL SE198WFP"
### Comment all HorizSync and VertRefresh values to use DDC:
HorizSync 30.0 - 83.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection
I can conclude that if you comment out the freqs, that xorg will probe
the monitor for the correct values (just like it says). From the
dpkg-reconfigure I have no info at all about the monitor or the freqs.
I can conclude that it is using DDC on the fly to get the correct
freqs. We can also conclude that you don't need to be asked for the
frequency any more based on the comment from the X -configure config file.



While it is true that X -configure is NOT a debian tool, it is a X tool
that comes with the package and in at least my case, works.
I am looking forward to the time when I don't have to use saved back up
of my xorg.conf file to get my two monitors working and xorg "just" gets
it right. Even with that "annoyance" it still beats the hell out of my
first time with Debian and testing (Woody) and the month it took to get
X working.


OP, you never said of your new monitor works or not? Do you get X
running on it? Is it configured to use the resolution you want? If you
check your xorg.conf does it contain the correct information? As I have
tested above, the fact that dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg does not ask
for the monitor parameters does not matter as xorg will probe your
monitor and use DDC to pull the correct settings. The only question
after that is are you using a FB device (if I choose yes, it will not
work, YMMV), what kind of mouse do you have, and what resolution do you
want to run. To fix the resolution, just edit xorg.conf (if you don't
have the correct resolution you desire).


HTH.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dchesser


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:19 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org