Old 05-18-2008, 06:01 AM
John Talbut

Default X server not starting

When my computer first boots up I have been getting a

May 17 11:44:03 <computer name> login[1669]: FAILED LOGIN (1) on 'tty1' FOR
`UNKNOWN', User not known to the underlying authentication module

error the last couple of days. If I reboot it starts up OK. I am using Lenny
and I have updated it most days recently.

Syslog has some of these messages:

May 18 06:02:42 <computer name> gdm[1696]: WARNING: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler:
Fatal X error - Restarting :0

Does anyone know what is happening?

John