FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-18-2008, 04:41 AM
"Russell L. Harris"
 
Default blogging - alternative packages

I am in search of a simplified approach to blog maintenance. At the
present time, I have a blog which is maintained with WordPress.

WordPress rapidly is increasing in complexity because features are
being added. The procedure for backing up and restoring the MySQL
data base is complex. And with the complexity comes the need for
frequent updates of the WordPress software; this is becoming a hassle.

My blog is strictly for my own posts; I have no need for visitor
comments or uploads. Static pages are adequate, and I can maintain my
own index to blog articles on the first page of the blog.

At this point, I am thinking that my blogging needs could be served
adequately with a set of very simple web pages. The only problem I
see is the need to create an RSS feed for the blog.

Am I overlooking something? Or should I look to blogging software to
replace WordPress?

Is there a simple open-source RSS feed generator for such an
application?

RLH


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Kevin Mark
 
Default blogging - alternative packages

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 11:41:43PM -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> I am in search of a simplified approach to blog maintenance. At the
> present time, I have a blog which is maintained with WordPress.
>
> WordPress rapidly is increasing in complexity because features are
> being added. The procedure for backing up and restoring the MySQL
> data base is complex. And with the complexity comes the need for
> frequent updates of the WordPress software; this is becoming a hassle.
>
> My blog is strictly for my own posts; I have no need for visitor
> comments or uploads. Static pages are adequate, and I can maintain my
> own index to blog articles on the first page of the blog.
>
> At this point, I am thinking that my blogging needs could be served
> adequately with a set of very simple web pages. The only problem I
> see is the need to create an RSS feed for the blog.
>
> Am I overlooking something? Or should I look to blogging software to
> replace WordPress?
>
> Is there a simple open-source RSS feed generator for such an
> application?
>
> RLH

Two recent Debian-grown things: cronicle and ikiwiki.
-K
--
| .'`. == Debian GNU/Linux == | my web site: |
| : :' : The Universal |mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/|
| `. `' Operating System | go to counter.li.org and |
| `- http://www.debian.org/ | be counted! #238656 |
| my keyserver: subkeys.pgp.net | my NPO: cfsg.org |
|join the new debian-community.org to help Debian! |
|_______ Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Bob Cox
 
Default blogging - alternative packages

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 23:41:43 -0500, Russell L. Harris (rlharris@oplink.net) wrote:

> I am in search of a simplified approach to blog maintenance. At the
> present time, I have a blog which is maintained with WordPress.
>
> WordPress rapidly is increasing in complexity because features are
> being added. The procedure for backing up and restoring the MySQL
> data base is complex. And with the complexity comes the need for
> frequent updates of the WordPress software; this is becoming a hassle.
>
> My blog is strictly for my own posts; I have no need for visitor
> comments or uploads. Static pages are adequate, and I can maintain my
> own index to blog articles on the first page of the blog.

One solution might be to stick with Wordpress but remove the options for
comments and uploads. There's not much^H^H^H^H anything in the way of
useful content, but this is how I managed to get Wordpress to look when
I was playing with the idea of a blog: http://bobcox.com/blog

--
Bob Cox. Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Registered user #445000 with the Linux Counter - http://counter.li.org/
 
Old 05-18-2008, 02:56 PM
"Anthony Campbell"
 
Default blogging - alternative packages

On 18/5/2008, "Bob Cox" <debian-user@lists.bobcox.com> wrote:

>On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 23:41:43 -0500, Russell L. Harris (rlharris@oplink.net) wrote:
>
>> I am in search of a simplified approach to blog maintenance. At the
>> present time, I have a blog which is maintained with WordPress.
>>
>> WordPress rapidly is increasing in complexity because features are
>> being added. The procedure for backing up and restoring the MySQL
>> data base is complex. And with the complexity comes the need for
>> frequent updates of the WordPress software; this is becoming a hassle.
>>
>> My blog is strictly for my own posts; I have no need for visitor
>> comments or uploads. Static pages are adequate, and I can maintain my
>> own index to blog articles on the first page of the blog.
>
>One solution might be to stick with Wordpress but remove the options for
>comments and uploads. There's not much^H^H^H^H anything in the way of
>useful content, but this is how I managed to get Wordpress to look when
>I was playing with the idea of a blog: http://bobcox.com/blog
>

Have a look at Serendipity. I switched to this from WP about a year ago
and much prefer it.

Anthony


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-20-2008, 04:36 PM
"Brian McKee"
 
Default blogging - alternative packages

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 12:41 AM, Russell L. Harris <rlharris@oplink.net> wrote:
> I am in search of a simplified approach to blog maintenance. At the
> present time, I have a blog which is maintained with WordPress.
>
> WordPress rapidly is increasing in complexity because features are
> being added. The procedure for backing up and restoring the MySQL
> data base is complex. And with the complexity comes the need for
> frequent updates of the WordPress software; this is becoming a hassle.

Wordpress does have plug ins to do updates and backups.

I've found Wordpress Automatic Updater reduces a lot of the fiddling required.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-20-2008, 06:35 PM
"Russell L. Harris"
 
Default blogging - alternative packages

* Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> [080520 11:42]:
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 12:41 AM, Russell L. Harris <rlharris@oplink.net> wrote:
> > I am in search of a simplified approach to blog maintenance. At the
> > present time, I have a blog which is maintained with WordPress.
> >
> > WordPress rapidly is increasing in complexity because features are
> > being added. The procedure for backing up and restoring the MySQL
> > data base is complex. And with the complexity comes the need for
> > frequent updates of the WordPress software; this is becoming a hassle.
>
> Wordpress does have plug ins to do updates and backups.
>
> I've found Wordpress Automatic Updater reduces a lot of the fiddling required.
>

I have been using the backup plug-in, but when it comes time to
restore, it is necessary to use MySQL from the desktop machine --
which is a pain.

As to updates, my hosting provider finally provides automatated
installation of WordPress, but with major version changes, there is
the need to backup and restore, and that is the point at which I now
find myself -- it isn't simple.

RLH


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-20-2008, 08:23 PM
"Paul Johnson"
 
Default blogging - alternative packages

On Tuesday 20 May 2008 09:36:05 am Brian McKee wrote:
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 12:41 AM, Russell L. Harris <rlharris@oplink.net>
wrote:
> > I am in search of a simplified approach to blog maintenance. At the
> > present time, I have a blog which is maintained with WordPress.
> >
> > WordPress rapidly is increasing in complexity because features are
> > being added. The procedure for backing up and restoring the MySQL
> > data base is complex. And with the complexity comes the need for
> > frequent updates of the WordPress software; this is becoming a hassle.
>
> Wordpress does have plug ins to do updates and backups.
>
> I've found Wordpress Automatic Updater reduces a lot of the fiddling
> required.

Does livejournal have it's own pacakge?

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Explaination of .pgp part: http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Mail/rant-gpg.html
 
Old 05-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom
 
Default blogging - alternative packages

Russell L. Harris wrote:

I am in search of a simplified approach to blog maintenance. At the
present time, I have a blog which is maintained with WordPress.

WordPress rapidly is increasing in complexity because features are
being added. The procedure for backing up and restoring the MySQL
data base is complex. And with the complexity comes the need for
frequent updates of the WordPress software; this is becoming a hassle.

My blog is strictly for my own posts; I have no need for visitor
comments or uploads. Static pages are adequate, and I can maintain my
own index to blog articles on the first page of the blog.

At this point, I am thinking that my blogging needs could be served
adequately with a set of very simple web pages. The only problem I
see is the need to create an RSS feed for the blog.

Am I overlooking something? Or should I look to blogging software to
replace WordPress?

Is there a simple open-source RSS feed generator for such an
application?



I stick with WP (BTW what version are we talking about? I have WP 2.1.3)
for two reasons:

1. A web interface
2. A mysql database.

I only use it as a diary of system activity, but only available to
myself (I use my firewall to prohibit others to see it). Now I can
search for what I did and when I did it.


In the past I made it available to the outside but I found that search
engines ate up my internet bandwidth, as little as it is (dialup
access), so I restricted access.


I would prefer a text-based database tool with a mc-like interface for
the same purposes, but I have never found one.


Hugo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-22-2008, 06:48 AM
"Todd A. Jacobs"
 
Default blogging - alternative packages

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 11:41:43PM -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:

> I am in search of a simplified approach to blog maintenance.

Snarky answer:

apt-cache search blog

Less snarky answer:

Try nanoblogger, blosxom, pyblosxom, or tiddlywiki.

This is very much a YMMV issue.

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-22-2008, 10:47 AM
"Simon Jolle"
 
Default blogging - alternative packages

On 5/22/08, Todd A. Jacobs <nospam@codegnome.org> wrote:
> Less snarky answer:
>
> Try nanoblogger, blosxom, pyblosxom, or tiddlywiki.
>
> This is very much a YMMV issue.

YMMV?

cheers
Simon

--
XMPP: sjolle@swissjabber.org


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:20 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org