Old 05-17-2008, 11:41 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default I vs l (Was: Tab in Java)

2008/5/18 Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>:
>> I did try with the lowercase version of the key between "k" and ";".
>> But one can never be too sure. Just in case there are those who don't
>> know, in most fonts the uppercase eye glyph is one pixel shorter than
>> the lowercase el glyph, which is the maximum possible height:
>> Il (eye el)
>
> I'd have thought that the I-beam shape of chr(73) would have given
> away which character that OP meant.
>
> But then, this is why html mail is evil, and Google Is Evil for
> promoting it.

Actually I'm using text-only email on Gmail, but I do have a
variable-width font in use. Your point is well taken, and I will now
be on the lookout for a new default font that makes a better
distinction. Thanks!

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-18-2008, 12:11 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 05-18-2008, 12:41 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/5/18 Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>:
>> Actually I'm using text-only email on Gmail, but I do have a
>> variable-width font in use. Your point is well taken, and I will now
>> be on the lookout for a new default font that makes a better
>> distinction. Thanks!
>
> And, of course, all GUI apps, like Tbird/Icedove, Sylpheed/Claws,
> Evo, KMail, etc, all use variable-width fonts for folder list,
> thread pane, and Subject.

As I don't have a MTA installed for bugreport, I filed at Ubuntu:

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.