FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-17-2008, 06:51 PM
"Dotan Cohen"
 
Default Tab in Java

My university's math department put up terrible little inaccesable
Java applets for homework. In particular, the tab key does not move
between text input fields. Is this a known issue with Java, or does
Java use some key combination other than tab to move between fields? I
am a heavy keyboard user as I have difficulties manipulating the
mouse. Although the university does recognize my handicap regarding
written assignments, there is 'nothing to be done' regarding their
inaccessible Java applet other than what I can do client side.

I tried to save an applet to post in a place where the list members
can try it, but unsuccessfully. The applet phones home when started
up, so there is no way to post it in a public manner. If some list
members want to email me off-list for my username/password, I can
provide that. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
 
Old 05-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Ron Johnson
 
Default Tab in Java

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 05/17/08 13:51, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> My university's math department put up terrible little inaccesable
> Java applets for homework. In particular, the tab key does not move
> between text input fields. Is this a known issue with Java,

I see the same issue with our time card app.

> or does
> Java use some key combination other than tab to move between fields? I
> am a heavy keyboard user as I have difficulties manipulating the
> mouse. Although the university does recognize my handicap regarding
> written assignments, there is 'nothing to be done' regarding their
> inaccessible Java applet other than what I can do client side.

Somewhere in your Uni is a Dean who's job it is to see that no one's
rights are violated. If that Dean refuses to help, there are rights
activists galore, and, finally, letters to the editor of the school
newspaper. No "progressive" Uni likes to see itself doing anything
but bending over bass-ackwards for minorities.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

ESPN makes baseball players better.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFILy1rS9HxQb37XmcRAqaFAJwPvVdQvAY87wjNWS7s01 9Y3mqA/ACfY/df
Rynif+hLu50UBwdXBYTjpck=
=c+WI
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-17-2008, 07:16 PM
"Dotan Cohen"
 
Default Tab in Java

2008/5/17 Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>:
> Somewhere in your Uni is a Dean who's job it is to see that no one's
> rights are violated. If that Dean refuses to help, there are rights
> activists galore, and, finally, letters to the editor of the school
> newspaper. No "progressive" Uni likes to see itself doing anything
> but bending over bass-ackwards for minorities.

Not where I live. I consider myself lucky to be studying, and I'm not
going to rock any boats. Middle Eastern mentality is to be thankful of
what you have, not to demand your 'rights'.

Regardless of the mentality of my university, is there a client-side
fix for this technical problem?

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
 
Old 05-17-2008, 08:14 PM
"Wesley J. Landaker"
 
Default Tab in Java

On Saturday 17 May 2008 13:16:06 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Regardless of the mentality of my university, is there a client-side
> fix for this technical problem?

Here is an all else fails method: use the Java applet under Windows XP in a
virtual machine, such as VirtualBox.

This is horrible in a software freedom (and annoying hassle) perspective,
but will almost certainly get the job done.

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net> <xmpp:wjl@icecavern.net>
OpenPGP FP: 4135 2A3B 4726 ACC5 9094 0097 F0A9 8A4C 4CD6 E3D2
 
Old 05-17-2008, 08:27 PM
John Hasler
 
Default Tab in Java

Wesley J. Landaker writes:
> Here is an all else fails method: use the Java applet under Windows XP in
> a virtual machine, such as VirtualBox.

> This is horrible in a software freedom (and annoying hassle) perspective,
> but will almost certainly get the job done.

It would also require that he acquire a copy of Microsoft Windows XP.
--
John Hasler


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-17-2008, 08:56 PM
"Dotan Cohen"
 
Default Tab in Java

2008/5/17 Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net>:
> On Saturday 17 May 2008 13:16:06 Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Regardless of the mentality of my university, is there a client-side
>> fix for this technical problem?
>
> Here is an all else fails method: use the Java applet under Windows XP in a
> virtual machine, such as VirtualBox.
>
> This is horrible in a software freedom (and annoying hassle) perspective,
> but will almost certainly get the job done.
>

Even in Windows there is no ability to tab between the text fields in
this particular Java applet. Or in all Java applets, for all I know.
Actually, that is my question. Does Java use a different method of
keyboarding between fields?

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
 
Old 05-17-2008, 09:19 PM
"Wesley J. Landaker"
 
Default Tab in Java

On Saturday 17 May 2008 14:56:23 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Even in Windows there is no ability to tab between the text fields in
> this particular Java applet. Or in all Java applets, for all I know.
> Actually, that is my question. Does Java use a different method of
> keyboarding between fields?

Well, that's quite obnoxious! I haven't had the displeasure of using any
Java applets in quite a long time. It could be just a limitation of the GUI
toolkit (e.g. AWT) or the program itself -- if it doesn't support keyboard
tabbing, then there most likely isn't much hope for fixing it.

One simple minded suggestion: try CTRL-I. That emits a tab character in many
contexts. But given the above, it probably won't work either.

Anyway, good luck!

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net> <xmpp:wjl@icecavern.net>
OpenPGP FP: 4135 2A3B 4726 ACC5 9094 0097 F0A9 8A4C 4CD6 E3D2
 
Old 05-17-2008, 09:31 PM
"Dotan Cohen"
 
Default Tab in Java

2008/5/18 Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net>:
> On Saturday 17 May 2008 14:56:23 Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Even in Windows there is no ability to tab between the text fields in
>> this particular Java applet. Or in all Java applets, for all I know.
>> Actually, that is my question. Does Java use a different method of
>> keyboarding between fields?
>
> Well, that's quite obnoxious! I haven't had the displeasure of using any
> Java applets in quite a long time. It could be just a limitation of the GUI
> toolkit (e.g. AWT) or the program itself -- if it doesn't support keyboard
> tabbing, then there most likely isn't much hope for fixing it.
>
> One simple minded suggestion: try CTRL-I. That emits a tab character in many
> contexts. But given the above, it probably won't work either.

Thanks. I tried Ctrl-l, but it did not work. Neither did any other
Ctrl-char for that matter. But good thinking nonetheless.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
 
Old 05-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Ron Johnson
 
Default Tab in Java

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 05/17/08 16:31, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/5/18 Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net>:
[snip]
>>
>> One simple minded suggestion: try CTRL-I. That emits a tab character in many
>> contexts. But given the above, it probably won't work either.
>
> Thanks. I tried Ctrl-l, but it did not work. Neither did any other
> Ctrl-char for that matter. But good thinking nonetheless.

That's ^L. Try ^I.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

ESPN makes baseball players better.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFIL1h4S9HxQb37XmcRArxJAJ9g68m/anXjXmNnuip6YJfSjaD7CACfYnJu
78fCfN53zBGv3yEkirvP/y4=
=p6lO
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-17-2008, 10:40 PM
"Dotan Cohen"
 
Default Tab in Java

2008/5/18 Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>:
>>> One simple minded suggestion: try CTRL-I. That emits a tab character in many
>>> contexts. But given the above, it probably won't work either.
>>
>> Thanks. I tried Ctrl-l, but it did not work. Neither did any other
>> Ctrl-char for that matter. But good thinking nonetheless.
>
> That's ^L. Try ^I.
>

I sense a bash.org moment coming on...

I did try with the lowercase version of the key between "k" and ";".
But one can never be too sure. Just in case there are those who don't
know, in most fonts the uppercase eye glyph is one pixel shorter than
the lowercase el glyph, which is the maximum possible height:
Il (eye el)

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:21 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org