Old 05-17-2008, 07:35 PM
"Russell L. Harris"

Default printing setup

* tyler <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> [080517 13:49]:
> tyler <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> writes:
>
>> I'm just starting to set up my printer, and all is well except for one
>> thing. The page prints too close to the top of the paper, so that I lose
>> the top cm or so off the top of the paper. I'm not sure if this is a
>> CUPS issue, a printer issue, a driver issue? I looked around the CUPS
>> webpage, and did some googling, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking
>> for. Any pointers?

Check the default papersize (typically A4 or letter).

$ apropos paper

See the man pages for: papersize, paperconf, paperconfig, texconfig.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:46 PM
tyler

tyler <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> writes:

> I'm just starting to set up my printer, and all is well except for one
> thing. The page prints too close to the top of the paper, so that I lose
> the top cm or so off the top of the paper. I'm not sure if this is a
> CUPS issue, a printer issue, a driver issue? I looked around the CUPS
> webpage, and did some googling, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking
> for. Any pointers?
>
> Details:
> Thinkpad R60 running testing
> SAMSUNG ML-2010 laserjet printer
> Installed everything I found in aptitude under tasks->servers->print
> servers, including all recommends and most suggests. (i.e., cupssys,
> printconf, foomatic and friends)
> Installed and configured the printer using http://localhost:631
> Printing via GtkLP, at least until I figure out the command-line
> Printing pdf is fine, except for the problem described above

Further to my first message, using the fitplot flag from the command line:

lp -o fitplot -d ml-2010 my.pdf

appears to correct the problem, so I at least have a temporary fix.

Tyler

Old 05-20-2008, 04:33 PM
tyler

"Russell L. Harris" <rlharris@oplink.net> writes:

> * tyler <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> [080517 13:49]:
>> tyler <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> writes:
>>
>>> I'm just starting to set up my printer, and all is well except for one
>>> thing. The page prints too close to the top of the paper, so that I lose
>>> the top cm or so off the top of the paper. I'm not sure if this is a
>>> CUPS issue, a printer issue, a driver issue? I looked around the CUPS
>>> webpage, and did some googling, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking
>>> for. Any pointers?
>
> Check the default papersize (typically A4 or letter).
>
> $ apropos paper
>
> See the man pages for: papersize, paperconf, paperconfig, texconfig.

Thanks!

I checked through the man pages, and as far as I can tell my default
paper size is correctly set to letter, 8.5" x 11". paperconfig isn't
installed, and I don't know what package it's part of, so that may be a
problem? Also, when printing from Firefox/Iceweasel I found that I
needed to reduce the page by 70% to get it to fit onto the page. The
option to scale the page to paper size didn't work on its own. Anything
else I should look at?

Cheers,

Tyler

--
Friends don't let friends send Word documents

http://www.nothingisreal.com/dfki/no-word