-   -   Automounting (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/90016-automounting.html)

Frank McCormick 05-17-2008 02:44 PM

Automounting

"Douglas A. Tutty" 05-24-2008 06:41 PM

Automounting

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 10:44:12AM -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:

> Running Sid/Lenny and I don't use Gnome, so I am looking for the BEST
> automounting system, one that will mount a CD or DVD when I insert the
> disk. I have tried pmount but for some reason it doesn't work for me.
> Suggestions anyone ?

Well, why do you want it automounting? Answer that and we may determine
what BEST is for you.

If you don't want users to have to fiddle with the command line, what
about setting the CD up in fstab for users to be able to mount it from
the command line, then depending on what wm you use, add a button or
menu item that runs the correct command.

Otherwise, if they install a CD or DVD, something has to determine if
its a mountable CD or a music CD, or if its a movie.

Since I use mc for my file manager, I just type
$ mount /cdrom

I suppose I could edit mc's user menu to add a key combo to do that. I
could edit icewm's menu or something.

I just automatically type mount /cdrom. Happens automatically. Wierd
eh?

Doug.