Old 05-17-2008, 12:45 AM
ISHWAR RATTAN

Default usb dial up modem?

Any one using USR5633b USB dialup exyernal modem with Linux?
I am looking for one that will work under Linux
as the new computer does not have serial ports!

Do these modem need a special driver?
-ishwar

Old 05-17-2008, 12:57 AM
"Paul Johnson"

On Friday 16 May 2008 05:45:49 pm ISHWAR RATTAN wrote:
> Any one using USR5633b USB dialup exyernal modem with Linux?
> I am looking for one that will work under Linux
> as the new computer does not have serial ports!

Yikes! Thank God PCI serial cards are under $10.

> Do these modem need a special driver?

USB modems have a very high probability of being WinModems in my experience;
I'm not finding anything suggesting that this particular modem is real or not
one way or the other. When you plug it in, do you get anything in your
syslog? If you're lucky enough, you should see some kind of output, maybe
even a new device entry in /dev/ that acts like a serial port.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Explaination of .pgp part: http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Mail/rant-gpg.html

Old 05-17-2008, 01:22 AM
John Hasler

ISHWAR RATTAN wrote:
> Any one using USR5633b USB dialup exyernal modem with Linux? I am
> looking for one that will work under Linux as the new computer does not
> have serial ports!

If you already have that modem just plug it in, run pppconfig, say "yes" in
the "Choose Modem Config Method" screen, and see if pppconfig finds the
modem.
--
John Hasler

Old 05-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Kevin Mark

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 08:45:49PM -0400, ISHWAR RATTAN wrote:

> Any one using USR5633b USB dialup exyernal modem with Linux?
> I am looking for one that will work under Linux
> as the new computer does not have serial ports!
>
> Do these modem need a special driver?
> -ishwar

>From what I'd skimmed, you can get a usb-to-serial adapter for an
already existing 'old school' serial modem. Maybe under $20 USD?

--
| .'`. == Debian GNU/Linux == | my web site: |
| : :' : The Universal |mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/|

Old 05-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

ISHWAR RATTAN wrote:

Any one using USR5633b USB dialup exyernal modem with Linux?
I am looking for one that will work under Linux
as the new computer does not have serial ports!

Do these modem need a special driver?

This:

http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5633b

says that it is only compatible with M$.
As has been suggested, it's probably a Winmodem. I have yet to find a
USB modem that is Linux compatible.

Hugo

Old 05-19-2008, 10:08 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 05:57:03PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Friday 16 May 2008 05:45:49 pm ISHWAR RATTAN wrote:
> > Any one using USR5633b USB dialup exyernal modem with Linux?
> > I am looking for one that will work under Linux
> > as the new computer does not have serial ports!
>
> Yikes! Thank God PCI serial cards are under $10.

But how much does a non-winmodem modem cost me?

Or a winmodem that happens to work with ALSA?

> > Do these modem need a special driver?
>
> USB modems have a very high probability of being WinModems in my experience;

(Basically: like PCI ones)

> I'm not finding anything suggesting that this particular modem is real or not
> one way or the other. When you plug it in, do you get anything in your
> syslog? If you're lucky enough, you should see some kind of output, maybe
> even a new device entry in /dev/ that acts like a serial port.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 05-19-2008, 09:44 PM
Chris Davies

Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il> wrote:
> But how much does a non-winmodem modem cost me?

I think they're around 30. Maybe less on eBay.
Chris