-   -   vmplayer installer cannot find libs (amd64) (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/89535-vmplayer-installer-cannot-find-libs-amd64.html)

michael 05-16-2008 05:26 PM

vmplayer installer cannot find libs (amd64)

eg:
The installation of VMware Player 2.0.3 build-80004 for Linux completed
successfully. You can decide to remove this software from your system at
any
time by invoking the following command: "/usr/bin/vmware-uninstall.pl".

Before running VMware Player for the first time, you need to configure
it by
invoking the following command: "/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl". Do you want
this
program to invoke the command for you now? [yes]

The following libraries could not be found on your system:
libX11.so.6
libXtst.so.6
libXext.so.6
libXrender.so.1
libz.so.1

You will need to install these manually before you can run VMware
Player.

but yet:
mkb@amd64:~$ locate libX11.so.6
/usr/lib/libX11.so.6
/usr/lib/libX11.so.6.2.0

So, I'm confused!

Till Wimmer 05-16-2008 05:47 PM

vmplayer installer cannot find libs (amd64)

Hi Michael,

are you sure that the binary package of VMWare works for 64bit architecture?

Till

Raj Kiran Grandhi 05-17-2008 01:15 AM

michael wrote:
[...]

vmplayer is probably expecting the 32-bit libraries. Install ia32-libs
and ia32-libs-gtk and retry the installation of vmplayer.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi

michael 05-17-2008 12:21 PM

On Sat, 2008-05-17 at 06:45 +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> michael wrote:
> > eg:
> > The installation of VMware Player 2.0.3 build-80004 for Linux completed
> > successfully. You can decide to remove this software from your system at
> > any
> > time by invoking the following command: "/usr/bin/vmware-uninstall.pl".
> >
> > Before running VMware Player for the first time, you need to configure
> > it by
> > invoking the following command: "/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl". Do you want
> > this
> > program to invoke the command for you now? [yes]
> >
> > The following libraries could not be found on your system:
> > libX11.so.6
> > libXtst.so.6
> > libXext.so.6
> > libXrender.so.1
> > libz.so.1
> >
> > You will need to install these manually before you can run VMware
> > Player.
> >

> > but yet:
> > mkb@amd64:~$ locate libX11.so.6
> > /usr/lib/libX11.so.6
> > /usr/lib/libX11.so.6.2.0
> >

> > So, I'm confused!
>
> vmplayer is probably expecting the 32-bit libraries. Install ia32-libs
> and ia32-libs-gtk and retry the installation of vmplayer.

Fantastic! Installing ia32-libs did the trick!
Now if only I could work out how to make some folders on my amd64 Debian
system appear on the WinXP virtual machine (without dragging them)!

Thanks! Michael

Carl Fink 05-17-2008 02:29 PM

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 01:21:19PM +0100, michael wrote:

> Fantastic! Installing ia32-libs did the trick!
> Now if only I could work out how to make some folders on my amd64 Debian
> system appear on the WinXP virtual machine (without dragging them)!

One way would be setting up Samba.
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Raj Kiran Grandhi 05-17-2008 04:01 PM

michael wrote:

[...]

Samba? Or you can use the shared folders option of vmware.

-- Albert Einstein