Old 05-16-2008, 01:30 PM
Rico Secada

Default Problems with amavis and clamav

Hi.

I have set up amavis with spamassassin on Debian Etch but I want to
disable clamav. There is no clamav packages installed.

My /etc/amavis/conf.d/15-content_filter_mode looks like this:

<snip>
use strict;

# You can modify this file to re-enable SPAM checking through
# spamassassin and to re-enable antivirus checking.

#
# Default antivirus checking mode
# Uncomment the two lines below to enable it back
#

#@bypass_virus_checks_maps = (
# \%bypass_virus_checks, @bypass_virus_checks_acl,
# $bypass_virus_checks_re);

#
# Default SPAM checking mode
# Uncomment the two lines below to enable it back
#

@bypass_spam_checks_maps = (
\%bypass_spam_checks, @bypass_spam_checks_acl,
$bypass_spam_checks_re);

1; # insure a defined return
</snip>

In /var/log/mail.err I keep getting this error:

ClamAV-clamd: Can't connect to UNIX socket /var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl
WARN: all primary virus scanners failed, considering backups: 344 Time
(s) (!!) ClamAV-clamd av-scanner FAILED: Too many retries to talk
to /var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl
TROUBLE in check_mail: virus_scan FAILED: virus_scan: ALL VIRUS
SCANNERS FAILED: ClamAV-clamd av-scanner FAILED: Too many retries to
talk to /var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl

I have installed logwatch and I also get these errors:

(!) PRESERVING EVIDENCE
in /var/lib/amavis/tmp/amavis-20080513T215028-12890: 2 Time(s)
(!)PRESERVING EVIDENCE
in /var/lib/amavis/tmp/amavis-20080513T211714-12816: 2 Time(s)
(!) PRESERVING EVIDENCE
in /var/lib/amavis/tmp/amavis-20080513T181347-12464: 2 Time(s)
(!) PRESERVING EVIDENCE
in /var/lib/amavis/tmp/amavis-20080513T210020-12816: 2 Time(s)

What am I missing?

Best regards,

Rico

Old 05-16-2008, 02:42 PM
kj

Rico Secada wrote:

# Default antivirus checking mode
# Uncomment the two lines below to enable it back
#

#@bypass_virus_checks_maps = (
# \%bypass_virus_checks, @bypass_virus_checks_acl,
# $bypass_virus_checks_re);

You could also comment the clam-av sections in
/etc/amavis/conf.d/15-av_scanners

> ClamAV-clamd: Can't connect to UNIX socket /var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl
> WARN: all primary virus scanners failed, considering backups: 344 Time
> (s) (!!) ClamAV-clamd av-scanner FAILED: Too many retries to talk
> to /var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl
> TROUBLE in check_mail: virus_scan FAILED: virus_scan: ALL VIRUS
> SCANNERS FAILED: ClamAV-clamd av-scanner FAILED: Too many retries to
> talk to /var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl

It's possible that this isn't caused by amavisd-new. Are you sure
nothing of Clam is installed? "ClamAV-clamd" at the beginning of that
line suggests to me that clamd is doing the logging.

--kj

Old 05-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Rico Secada

On Fri, 16 May 2008 15:42:25 +0100
kj <koffiejunkielistlurker@koffiejunkie.za.net> wrote:

> Rico Secada wrote:
> > # Default antivirus checking mode
> > # Uncomment the two lines below to enable it back
> > #
> >
> > #@bypass_virus_checks_maps = (
> > # \%bypass_virus_checks, @bypass_virus_checks_acl,
> > # $bypass_virus_checks_re);
>
> You could also comment the clam-av sections in
> /etc/amavis/conf.d/15-av_scanners

Yes, but is this "the Debian" way to do it? I mean if later the package
gets upgraded, and I forget that I have commented that part out-

> > ClamAV-clamd: Can't connect to UNIX
> > socket /var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl WARN: all primary virus scanners
> > failed, considering backups: 344 Time (s) (!!) ClamAV-clamd
> > av-scanner FAILED: Too many retries to talk
> > to /var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl TROUBLE in check_mail: virus_scan
> > FAILED: virus_scan: ALL VIRUS SCANNERS FAILED: ClamAV-clamd
> > av-scanner FAILED: Too many retries to talk
> > to /var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl
>
> It's possible that this isn't caused by amavisd-new. Are you sure
> nothing of Clam is installed? "ClamAV-clamd" at the beginning of
> that line suggests to me that clamd is doing the logging.

dpkg -l | grep clam shows nothing, so I am pretty sure its amavis doing
this.