Old 05-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Jan Willem Stumpel

Default reportbug problem

I tried to file a bug via reportbug yesterday, and it was not
sent. Instead, the mail message was saved as a file in /var/tmp.
I've successfully sent bug reports through reportbug in the past,
so what could be the matter now? Using Sid.

Regards, Jan

Old 05-16-2008, 01:02 PM
"Michael Marsh"

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Jan Willem Stumpel <jstumpel@planet.nl> wrote:
> I tried to file a bug via reportbug yesterday, and it was not
> sent. Instead, the mail message was saved as a file in /var/tmp.
> I've successfully sent bug reports through reportbug in the past,
> so what could be the matter now? Using Sid.

Did you recently update exim4? It might need to be reconfigured. I
always seem to hit this problem.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh

Old 05-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:

I tried to file a bug via reportbug yesterday, and it was not
sent. Instead, the mail message was saved as a file in /var/tmp.
I've successfully sent bug reports through reportbug in the past,
so what could be the matter now? Using Sid.

I've given up on trying to send with reportbug. It never works because
of exim.

So I use 2 steps:
report bug
send via gmail whatever got generated in /tmp

Saves the headaches.

Hugo

Old 05-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 05-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Ron Johnson wrote:

I tried to file a bug via reportbug yesterday, and it was not
sent. Instead, the mail message was saved as a file in /var/tmp.
I've successfully sent bug reports through reportbug in the past,
so what could be the matter now? Using Sid.

I've given up on trying to send with reportbug. It never works because
of exim.

So I use 2 steps:
report bug
send via gmail whatever got generated in /tmp

Saves the headaches.

If your ISP has an smtp server, send it thru them.

That'll be AT&T.
Other than cleaning out my inbox of pure spam (228 today) I stay away
from them. Never disturb a sleeping dog.

Hugo

Old 05-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Frank McCormick

Old 05-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Jan Willem Stumpel

Hugo, Michael, and Frank all pointed into the direction of exim4.
This was correct. Being conservative, I had always resisted
upgrading from exim3 to exim4 (because exim4's configuration is
more difficult). The latest sid upgrade apparently became annoyed
at this and removed exim3, declaring it "obsolete" -- but without
replacing it by anything else.. so I had no mta.

Why Sid suddenly has become so intolerant of exim3 I don't know.

I could continue to use e-mail (but not reportbug) because my
configuration is:

vega -> procyon -> internet

procyon is my Sarge "home server" (still running exim3). vega is
my "normal" computer. An mta on vega is only necessary for
programs like reportbug and mail (i.e. "mail", the classic
program). Other programs (mua's like icedove) already know that
procyon is the outgoing smtp server. Maybe I can teach this fact
to reportbug and mail also (how?). If so, I won't need an mta on vega.

Anyway dpkg -l grep exim on vega revealed that exim3 had been
removed. So crossing my fingers I installed exim4 on vega and told
it that procyon was the smarthost. It worked. Thanks to all who
responded!

Regards, Jan

Old 05-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Ron Johnson