Old 05-16-2008, 07:49 AM
Matej Kosik

Default concerning kqemu packages

Hello,

I have only small question concerning Debian packages that provide kqemu accelerator. At present, I
install it as follows:

apt-get install kqemu-modules-2.6-686 kqemu-common

and then it is necessary to add the following line

kqemu

to the `/etc/modules' file.

I would like to ask why the following action was not included directly to the post-installation step
of appropriate package that provides kqemu?

Is there any special reason for that why not to activate kqemu by default (when user installs those
packages)?

Thanks in advance for clarification.
--
Matej Kosik

Old 05-22-2008, 07:32 AM
"Todd A. Jacobs"

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 09:49:30AM +0200, Matej Kosik wrote:

> I would like to ask why the following action was not included directly
> to the post-installation step of appropriate package that provides
> kqemu?

Just because you install a module onto your system doesn't mean you
always want it loaded into the running kernel. Most modules will
auto-load when needed; if not, /etc/modules is the place to put modules
that you always want running after boot-up.

You may not even need kqemu, if your processor has vmx or svm support.
Something worth checking into, at any rate.

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"