Old 05-15-2008, 08:55 PM
michael

Default amd64 - probs with libs

I've an application which when I run gives

error while loading shared libraries: libXext.so.6: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory

but yet the files are available:

mkb@amd64:~/pave$ file /usr/lib/libXext.*
/usr/lib/libXext.a: current ar archive
/usr/lib/libXext.so: symbolic link to `libXext.so.6.4.0'
/usr/lib/libXext.so.6: symbolic link to `libXext.so.6.4.0'
/usr/lib/libXext.so.6.4.0: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, AMD x86-64,
version 1 (SYSV), stripped

any ideas???

thanks, M ichael

Old 05-16-2008, 03:21 AM
"Todd A. Jacobs"

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 09:55:24PM +0100, michael wrote:

> I've an application which when I run gives
> error while loading shared libraries: libXext.so.6: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory

You might consider running strace, and seeing what's being called. You
might also consider that your compilation isn't pointint to the right
library. Just because you have it doesn't mean it's being linked in
right.

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"

Old 05-16-2008, 10:59 AM
michael

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 20:21 -0700, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 09:55:24PM +0100, michael wrote:
>
> > I've an application which when I run gives
> > error while loading shared libraries: libXext.so.6: cannot open shared
> > object file: No such file or directory
>
> You might consider running strace, and seeing what's being called. You
> might also consider that your compilation isn't pointint to the right
> library. Just because you have it doesn't mean it's being linked in
> right.

Sorry, it's not for apps I am building but, for example, vmware or other
apps I've downloaded. I've tried setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH but that didn't
help

Ta, M