Old 05-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Adam Hardy

Default checking which ports iptables is blocking

Hi,

I would like to check whether some particular ports on my home gateway machine
are blocked by iptables.

I tried 'nmap -v -A 192.168.0.2' and 'netstat -an' but I'm not getting far.

I originally set up iptables 3 years ago on the machine and have since lost the
grey cells which stored my knowledge of how to tweak it.

Essentially I'm trying to check whether my tomcat webserver is having problems
because of the firewall or for some other reason. It is meant to serve on ports
8080 and 8443, just to the home lan, which it does, but it hangs for 3 minutes
on shutdown and despite searching for a solution on the tomcat mailing list, I
can't find any course of action.

Thanks,
Adam

Old 05-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Rico Secada

On Thu, 15 May 2008 18:16:37 +0100
Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to check whether some particular ports on my home
> gateway machine are blocked by iptables.
>
> I tried 'nmap -v -A 192.168.0.2' and 'netstat -an' but I'm not
> getting far.
>
> I originally set up iptables 3 years ago on the machine and have
> since lost the grey cells which stored my knowledge of how to tweak
> it.

Then read up on it, its not that difficult if you once knew how. :-)

Old 05-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Adam Hardy

I would like to check whether some particular ports on my home gateway
machine are blocked by iptables.

just for the record, sendip is what I needed.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Rico Secada

On Fri, 16 May 2008 13:33:12 +0100
Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:

> Adam Hardy on 15/05/08 18:16, wrote:
> > I would like to check whether some particular ports on my home
> > gateway machine are blocked by iptables.
>

> just for the record, sendip is what I needed.

You still need to take a look at iptables.

Even if you find blocked ports using sendip, you still need to
understand what iptables are doing, otherwise it could be something
else blocking your ports.