Old 09-02-2011, 05:10 AM
Cliff Pratt

Default please help

Why? Any platform can be used for web development.

If you want to learn more about CentOS, visit the web site.

Cheers,

Cliff

Old 09-02-2011, 05:25 AM
Liang Arsalan

i can't fine features of CentOs on web

--
_____Best Regards_____
Buddyexpress

Old 09-02-2011, 05:44 AM
Alexander Marz

Maybe this will help?

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=centos

Alex

Old 09-02-2011, 07:51 AM
Cliff Pratt

http://www.centos.org

However, if you couldn't find that I'd say your career as a web
designer would be short.

Cheers,

Cliff

Old 09-02-2011, 09:17 AM
ken

On 09/02/2011 12:59 AM Liang Arsalan wrote:
> i am a user of windows and use little bit ubuntu
> my friend told me to use centos for web development
> i have question that what is features of centos.
> thank you

There are many ways and tools you can use to create web sites:

- You could simply type in the html and css. In that situation I'd use
emacs. It's "just an editor" but it's programmable and already has many
features and packages to aid in creating web pages. You can also use it
to write code in java, python, perl, C, C++, PHP, and many other
languages used in web development.

- All the languages for web development and others are already included
in CentOS and many other linux distributions.

- There are entire development packages for creating web sites. One
I've been toying around with is drupal, but there are others.

- If you might use a database as part of your website, there are several
included in the CentOS and most linux distros, most prominently MySQL.

- Of course Apache is included too. It's hard to do web development
without a web server.

That should be enough to get you started. Learn half of all of those
and you'll have more than enough knowledge to create web sites.

Best to all,
ken

Old 09-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Emmanuel Noobadmin

On 9/2/11, Liang Arsalan <manactric@gmail.com> wrote:
> i am a user of windows and use little bit ubuntu
> my friend told me to use centos for web development
> i have question that what is features of centos.
> thank you

If there is no specific benefit for you to switch to using CentOS for
web development, then just stick to Windows. It would be far more
productive than for you.

Unless your friend was talking about web hosting rather than purely
web development.

If you are just looking to deploy a single website, then you might
also consider a ready-made CMS like Wordpress, Drupal or Joomla on a
shared hosting platform.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Always Learning

On Fri, 2011-09-02 at 09:59 +0500, Liang Arsalan wrote:

> i am a user of windows and use little bit ubuntu
> my friend told me to use centos for web development
> i have question that what is features of centos.

Hallo Liang,

Centos is the free version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).
Volunteers remove all the 'Red Hat' branding; then recompile the sources
and make the distribution. The volunteers also maintain the
distribution.

Centos copies Red Hat's policy of maintaining distributions for many
years. This means users can be sure they will not have change
distributions every 6 months or every 1 or 2 years. Centos distributions
are maintained for about 7 years.

Centos is used by home users, business users and in Data Centres.

Centos is a very professional operating system. It contains most
(sometimes all) of the Linux features professional users expect. Extra
features and programmes can be added, already compiled for Centos, from
special sites known as 'Repositories'.

Centos can be updated with bug fixes, improvements and new versions of
programmes by using a simple command

yum update (which updates everything installed)

yum update xxxx (which updates XXXX)

Yum has several options. It is one of the most useful tools in Centos.
The name means 'Yellow Dog Updated Modified'. Yellow Dog is/was the name
of a Linux distribution.

You can install extra software, if a version is available in a
repository, with

yum install xxxxx

Like other Linux distributions, Centos lets you have 'Windows'. The most
common are Gnome and KDE but several other types of 'Windows' can be
run.

To operate and test a web site, you will need Apache (or one of its
competitors), PHP (a programming language which can be used in web pages
and in Centos - it is similar to a BASH script), a database (I use
MySQL). All of these are supplied in the basic version of Centos.

Centos has mail servers Sendmail, Exim etc. It has a DNS server called
BIND ('Named'). Centos is a complete and advanced operating system
containing everything a normal computer user will require.

Centos is available for i386 & i686 machines (32 bit processors) and X64
(64 bit processors). I believe Centos is available for other types of
CPUs too.

I use Centos on servers, laptops, notebooks and home PCs. So do my
friends who are not computer 'experts'. They prefer Centos instead of M$
Windoze.

Centos can be installed on a normal personal computer ('PC') in addition
to M$ Windoze. This means when you start the PC, you will have a choice
to use M$ Windoze or Centos. This is called 'dual booting'.

The biggest attraction for me to use Centos are:-

1. It is not M$ Windoze

2. It is free

3. It is very stable and reliable and boring.

Centos is boring because it 'just works without problems' and works very
well.

Best regards,

Paul,
England
Europe.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Liang Arsalan

Yup thats answer of my question that mysql,apache,php is built in

On 9/2/11, Always Learning <centos@u61.u22.net> wrote:

> [...]
> containing everything a normal computer user will require.
>
> Centos is available for i386 & i686 machines (32 bit processors) and X64
> (64 bit processors). I believe Centos is available for other types of
> CPUs too.
>
> I use Centos on servers, laptops, notebooks and home PCs. So do my
> friends who are not computer 'experts'. They prefer Centos instead of M$
> Windoze.
>
> Centos can be installed on a normal personal computer ('PC') in addition
> to M$ Windoze. This means when you start the PC, you will have a choice
> to use M$ Windoze or Centos. This is called 'dual booting'.
>
> The biggest attraction for me to use Centos are:-
>
> 1. It is not M$ Windoze
>
> 2. It is free
>
> 3. It is very stable and reliable and boring.
>
> Centos is boring because it 'just works without problems' and works very

Sent from my mobile device

_____Best Regards_____
Buddyexpress
Administrator
Liang

Old 09-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Les Mikesell

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Liang Arsalan <manactric@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yup thats answer of my question that mysql,apache,php is built in

Pretty much every Linux distribution includes mysql/apache/php. The
distinguishing feature of CentOS is that it has free long term
support. From an administration perspective it is good that you
rarely need to do more than a 'yum update' for years and the updates
don't change working behavior. From a program's perspective it means
that most of the time the software versions are very old.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com