Old 12-11-2008, 06:35 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Default please help

Ole Guldberg Jensen wrote:
> the G3 has a powerpc CPU and (k)ubuntu doesnt support powerpc. Try
> another distro that does support ppc, like debian or fedora.
>
> 2008/12/11 jacobo smeke <jacobosmeke@gmail.com
> <mailto:jacobosmeke@gmail.com>>
>
> hi,
> i wonder if you can help me out with this problem.
> the thing is that i have a mac g3, it crashed so i wanted to install
> kubuntu.
> i put the cd and it didnt worked, so i took the hard drive disk, and
> formated on a xp machine, then i installed kubuntu and it worked
> perfectly. then i took the disk and connected it on the mac, but im
> still having the same problem.
> when i turn on the computer, it goes to a grey background and shows
> an icon with a question mark, the icon is like the finder face. then
> it show some text that says "to continue booting, type mac-boot the
> prees return.
> to shut down, type shut-down press return".
> i cant get into kubuntu, i searched the problem and i found that is
> the pram, and i reset it and in didnt work either.
>
> could you help me with this????

Last version I remember that supported PowerPC was Dapper 6.06 , in
other words 2 years ago

Old 03-09-2010, 11:05 PM
sebastian Lopez Tello

Hello

I`m a new ubuntu user, i installed the o.s from a usb drive using unetbootin since muy cpu does not have a cd drive.
My problem right now is that I need to install the drivers, so I can enter the internet, I don`t have acces to.
I have an old computer with windows xp and a cd room drive that works propperly.
I noticed that is not possible to install .exe files from ubuntu and look for a program that allow me to do it, I found "WINE" wich should be like pre-installed with the ubuntu system, but when i enter "sudo apt-get install wine" is not leting me do it, it shows that it could not find the "wine" file.
I down loaded to a usb drive the Wine program and stick it into the new computer but I notice that theres no simple aplication to install it like in windows you just look for the .exe file and it runs.
I tried diferent ways but non of them work.
If you speak spanish please replay in spanish.

Please help...

Old 03-10-2010, 06:16 AM
Christian Schult

Hello Sebastian,

sebastian Lopez Tello wrote:

> I`m a new ubuntu user, i installed the o.s from a usb drive using unetbootin since muy cpu does not have a cd drive.
> My problem right now is that I need to install the drivers, so I can enter the internet, I don`t have acces to.

Most hardware comes without linux drivers, but the linux kernel includes
most drivers you need. So in most cases you don't need to install a
driver from the manufacturer of your hardware.

Network devices, even Wi-Fi/WLAN hardware is well supportet by actual
linux kernels.

Please tell us what network setup you have got, what configuration
steps you've tried so far and what error messages you get.

> I have an old computer with windows xp and a cd room drive that works propperly.
> I noticed that is not possible to install .exe files from ubuntu and look for a program that allow me to do it, I found "WINE" wich should be like pre-installed with the ubuntu system, but when i enter "sudo apt-get install wine" is not leting me do it, it shows that it could not find the "wine" file.

Wine is a Windows emulation and will not give a windows driver access to
your hardware under linux. Forget about wine here.

Christian

Old 03-10-2010, 06:17 AM
Nils Kassube

sebastian Lopez Tello wrote:
> I`m a new ubuntu user, i installed the o.s from a usb drive using
> unetbootin since muy cpu does not have a cd drive. My problem right
> now is that I need to install the drivers, so I can enter the
> internet, I don`t have acces to.

Just curious: What drivers do you need that are not available on the
default system?

> I noticed that is not
> possible to install .exe files from ubuntu and look for a program
> that allow me to do it,

Those .exe files are for MS Windows. If you have a Windows box, there is
usually no point installing Ubuntu to run those programs. For many
applications there are Linux programs available with a similar
functionality. I would always try to find a Linux alternative first.

> I found "WINE" wich should be like
> pre-installed with the ubuntu system, but when i enter "sudo apt-get
> install wine" is not leting me do it, it shows that it could not
> find the "wine" file.

You need internet access first before you can use the apt-get command or
any other package manager (I would recommend synaptic). And BTW: WINE
doesn't run every exe program. You can have a look at
<http://appdb.winehq.org/> and check if your application is supported.
If you are talking about drivers for your hardware to get internet
access, it is very unlikely to make it work with WINE. Then let us know
what hardware you want to use and we can probably help you further.

> I down loaded to a usb drive the Wine program
> and stick it into the new computer but I notice that theres no
> simple aplication to install it like in windows you just look for
> the .exe file and it runs. I tried diferent ways but non of them
> work.

If you have the appropriate Ubuntu package e.g. from
<http://packages.ubuntu.com/> you can usually install it if you click on
the file from your file manager. If you insist on using the command
line, it would be a command like

sudo dpkg -i <filename>

where you replace the <filename> with the file name of the .deb file
(you sure guessed that already). But you may need other packages as well
because many projects use e.g. libraries from other projects and they
are not necessarily one standalone package. If those packages are not
already installed on your system you should install them first.

> If you speak spanish please replay in spanish.

If you prefer Spanish, have a look at
<https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-es>.

Nils

Old 03-10-2010, 06:34 AM
Andrew Farris

On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 20:05 -0400, sebastian Lopez Tello wrote:
> Hello
>

> I`m a new ubuntu user, i installed the o.s from a usb drive using
> unetbootin since muy cpu does not have a cd drive.
> My problem right now is that I need to install the drivers, so I can
> enter the internet, I don`t have acces to.

What version of Ubuntu have you installed?

I assume from your comments about a lack of CD drive you've installed
Ubuntu onto a netbook... What is the netbook model?

Assuming you need wireless drivers... if you can connect the Ubuntu PC
to the internet via a wired connection, you will be able to download all
the updates/drivers/programs you want. Once you connect with a wired
connection (assuming you can) go to "System > Administration > Hardware
Drivers" and let the tool do it's scanning. After it's done, it will
inform you of any drivers available that you might need to make your
hardware work. Pick the appropriate one (usually says 'recommended' next
to it) and click "Activate" and wait for the tool to finish. Once that's
done, your wireless should work

If you can't connect the computer to the internet with a wired
connection, please elaborate as to why so the best course of action may
be pursued.

> I have an old computer with windows xp and a cd room drive that works
> propperly.
> I noticed that is not possible to install .exe files from ubuntu and
> look for a program that allow me to do it, I found "WINE" wich should
> be like pre-installed with the ubuntu system, but when i enter "sudo
> apt-get install wine" is not leting me do it, it shows that it could
> not find the "wine" file.

It's telling you that it can't find the package, because you have no
internet connection, so the package cannot be downloaded from the
repositories when you request it. Once you have internet access, that
problem will resolve itself.

Next, if you feel more comfortable using graphical interfaces for
installing such things, see "System > Administration > Synaptic Package
Manager". The Ubuntu Software Center under the "Applications" menu is
also useful.

Now, why are you trying to run a .exe file on Ubuntu? If you're trying
to install a particular program, please explain what and why... as there
may be a native linux version of the software, or an alternative native
application you may prefer.

> I down loaded to a usb drive the Wine program and stick it into the
> new computer but I notice that theres no simple aplication to install
> it like in windows you just look for the .exe file and it runs.
> I tried diferent ways but non of them work.

If you downloaded the Wine application onto your flash drive, and intend
to install it manually, then make sure you downloaded the '.deb' file
for it, such as from here:
http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/index.html. If you downloaded
that, then installation is even easier than on windows. Just
double-click the .deb file, and click 'Install', and enter your password
when prompted. However, before dabbling with Wine, please explain why
you think you need it, so if there's an easier way, we can help you find
it.

Hope that helps.

--
Andrew

Old 03-12-2010, 07:52 AM
"I.Madhavan Raja"

Hi
First you have try
apt-get update and then try to install Wine

With Warm Regards,
I.Madhavan*

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Old 03-04-2011, 03:06 AM
Ryan Collins

Someone for the love of GOD, help me.

I've installedDebian 6.0(squeeze) on my dell inspiron 6000. All I have to show for it is a shell. I've looked all over and read countless entries on ways to load a gnome desktop, but nothing I try works for me like it has others. Im brand spanking new to Linux, but im beginning to at least understand how things need to be typed in order to make the magic happen, but it hasn't happened for me yet. I think I may have installed a server version, but there is a way around that right? What can I do to get a desktop environment installed through my command line?

Old 03-04-2011, 03:38 AM
Ron Johnson

I *could* say, "Real Men use the CLI. Long live bash!", but I won't.

When logged in as root, did you try:
# apt-get install gnome

If you did, then when you reboot you should have a GUI login screen.
Until then, just type:

$ startx

(Ignore the # and $. They are your prompt.)

I've installedDebian 6.0(squeeze) on my dell inspiron 6000. All I
have to show for it is a shell. I've looked all over and read
countless entries on ways to load a gnome desktop, but nothing I try
works for me like it has others. Im brand spanking new to Linux, but
im beginning to at least understand how things need to be typed in
order to make the magic happen, but it hasn't happened for me yet. I
think I may have installed a server version, but there is a way
around that right? What can I do to get a desktop environment
installed through my command line?

--
I prefer banana-flavored energy bars made from tofu.

Archive: 4D706CA9.5020803@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D706CA9.5020803@cox.net

Old 03-04-2011, 03:43 AM
"John A. Sullivan III"

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 23:06 -0500, Ryan Collins wrote:
> Someone for the love of GOD, help me.
> I've installedDebian 6.0(squeeze) on my dell inspiron 6000. All I have
> to show for it is a shell. I've looked all over and read countless
> entries on ways to load a gnome desktop, but nothing I try works for
> me like it has others. Im brand spanking new to Linux, but im
> beginning to at least understand how things need to be typed in order
> to make the magic happen, but it hasn't happened for me yet. I think I
> may have installed a server version, but there is a way around that
> right? What can I do to get a desktop environment installed through my
> command line?

I don't use Gnome but rather Trinity
(http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net) so I do not know the package off
hand but I think something like apt-get install gnome-desktop will do
the trick for you. Good luck - John

Old 03-04-2011, 03:55 AM
Petrus Validus

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 11:06:50PM -0500, Ryan Collins wrote:
> Someone for the love of GOD, help me.

Sure!

> I've installedDebian 6.0(squeeze) on my dell inspiron 6000. All I have to
> show for it is a shell. I've looked all over and read countless entries on
> ways to load a gnome desktop, but nothing I try works for me like it has
> others. Im brand spanking new to Linux, but im beginning to at least
> understand how things need to be typed in order to make the magic happen,
> but it hasn't happened for me yet. I think I may have installed a server
> version, but there is a way around that right?

What options did you select during the installation? The desktop system
should be the default setting (honestly I shouldn't say that since I am
still running Lenny here but did install Squeeze once when it was
testing).

If you could provide us with more information that would be
more helpful to us all.

--
Petrus Validus
Petrus.Validus@gmail.com