Old 07-10-2008, 07:15 PM
debian

Default Please Help

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 15:38 +0000, Leslie Bounan wrote:
> Dear Sir
>
> I had a problem when I downloaded your product.
>
> I received a message from notepad It says " The Cocuments and
> settingsleslocalsettingsTemporary Internet
> Files
> Content.IE5RMHN5MJ1ubunto-8.04.1-desktop-i386{1}.iso file
> is too
> large for notepad
> Use
> another editor to edit the file "
> What should I do?????
>
> Can you please Help
>
> Thank You
>
> Les

You need to burn the ISO to a CD/DVD. You simply cant open it with
notepad, its way to big. On windows, i would recommend alcohol 120% or
Nero to burn the iso.

Alternately, if you are trying to dualboot windows with ubuntu, i would
recommend using WUBI. What wubi does is it i goes out and downloads the
ubuntu iso, then creates a virtual partition on your hard drive which
ubuntu is installed to so you dont have to worry about repartitioning
your hard disk.

But, wubi is included on the latest ubuntu release, so what i would
recommend doing to save some times is to burn the cd, then run wubi off
of the cd.

hth
--cj

Old 07-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Karl Larsen

Leslie Bounan wrote:
> Dear Sir
>
> I had a problem when I downloaded your product. I received a message from notepad It says " The Cocuments and settingsleslocalsettingsTemporary Internet FilesContent.IE5RMHN5MJ1ubunto-8.04.1-desktop-i386{1}.iso file is too large for notepad Use another editor to edit the file "
> What should I do?????
> Can you please Help Thank You Les
> Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with Windows Live Messenger.
> http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/connect_your_way.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_me ssenger_video_072008

Our product does not have a C: drive.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-10-2008, 07:45 PM
debian

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 13:40 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Leslie Bounan wrote:
> > Dear Sir
> >
> > I had a problem when I downloaded your product. I received a message from notepad It says " The Cocuments and settingsleslocalsettingsTemporary Internet FilesContent.IE5RMHN5MJ1ubunto-8.04.1-desktop-i386{1}.iso file is too large for notepad Use another editor to edit the file "
> > What should I do?????
> > Can you please Help Thank You Les
> > __________________________________________________ _______________
> > Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with Windows Live Messenger.
> > http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/connect_your_way.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_me ssenger_video_072008
> >
> Our product does not have a C: drive.
>
> Karl

hehe true. its now /dev/hda1 lol

--cj

Old 07-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 13:40 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Our product does not have a C: drive.

He didn't write that. He wrote "I had a problem when I downloaded your
product", which was entirely correct.

And BTW, I doubt many of us list posters have much rights to call it
"ours".

Old 07-10-2008, 08:06 PM

> From: Mario Vukelic
>
> On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 13:40 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> > Our product does not have a C: drive.
>
> He didn't write that. He wrote "I had a problem when I
> downloaded your
> product", which was entirely correct.

Well, the OP did cut and past the error message...

" The Cocuments and settingsleslocalsettingsTemporary Internet FilesContent.IE5RMHN5MJ1ubunto-8.04.1-desktop-i386{1}.iso file is too large for notepad Use another editor to edit the file "

> And BTW, I doubt many of us list posters have much rights to call it
> "ours".

True, but, I took that as tongue in cheek.

Although, not very nice to do to a newbie.

er... wait a sec, I'm a newbie.

product doctrine and thus protected from disclosure. If the reader
copies and backups thereof. Thank you.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Karl Larsen

Michael.Coll-Barth@VerizonWireless.com wrote:

>> From: Mario Vukelic
>>
>> On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 13:40 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>>
>>> Our product does not have a C: drive.
>>>
>> He didn't write that. He wrote "I had a problem when I
>> downloaded your
>> product", which was entirely correct.
>>

> Well, the OP did cut and past the error message...
>
> " The Cocuments and settingsleslocalsettingsTemporary Internet FilesContent.IE5RMHN5MJ1ubunto-8.04.1-desktop-i386{1}.iso file is too large for notepad Use another editor to edit the file "

Snip.

Let me surmise that the person is downloading the proper file from
the Ubuntu web page and they got the whole 700 MB of the Hardy .iso file.

Then Windows being so screwed up asked him/her what they wanted to
do with that file. Somehow it decided to display it on note pad but, of
course it is too large and a binary file to boot :-)

So what should happen now? First look on your windows for a large
file called ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso and remember where it is.

You want to put this file onto a cd-rom. You don't want to copy it
to a cd-rom you want to install it on the cd-rom.

If all this is not correct then sorry.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-10-2008, 10:06 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Michael.Coll-Barth@VerizonWireless.com said:
> > And BTW, I doubt many of us list posters have much rights to call it
> > "ours".
>
> True, but, I took that as tongue in cheek.

Geeze, now I can't refer to, "my Ubuntu?"

Cybe R. Wizard - ;-]
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 07-11-2008, 05:30 PM
"Michael "TheZorch" Haney"

Leslie Bounan wrote:
> I downloaded to product and this is the message that I am getting
>
> When it first came up to download I clicked on "Run" and at the end
> when it went to install that was the message that I
> received.
> I did not bring up notepad in any way shape or form
When you download Ubuntu it comes as a file with a .ISO extension on the
file name. This is what's called a CD-ROM Image File. Basically, a
CD-ROM, a physical disk, was read by a computer and its contents were
converted into a file that can be downloaded from the Internet and later
transfered back to a bland CD-Recordable disk commonly called a CD-R.

There are two ways in which you can install Ubuntu. One is to use a
piece of CD/DVD Burning software to convert the .ISO image back into a
working CD-ROM on a blank CD-R disk or you can install something like
Daemon Tools which mimics a CD-ROM without you needing to burn the
Ubuntu .ISO image to a blank CD-R.

Daemon Tools is software for Windows that makes a VIRTUAL CD/DVD-ROM
drive appear in My Computer, but its not a real physical drive, but
software that lets you use .ISO image files AS IF it were a real CD-ROM
or DVD-ROM disk. As far as Windows is concern it looks, acts, and feels
like a REAL CD/DVD-ROM but its not.

Of course, using Daemon Tools limits how you can install Ubuntu. Using
that option you can only install it inside of Windows. This means you
don't change the size of the disk partition that Windows is installed on
but create a file that Ubuntu will "SEE" as a partition but really isn't
when you install and run it. Doing this leaves Windows and all of your
files alone. You can do the same if you burn the .ISO to a CD-R disk
but you're other option is to get rid of Windows completely and make
your computer 100% Ubuntu.

The Ubuntu .ISO image file is bootable when you burn it to a CD-ROM.
That means that if you put the CD-R in your CD/DVD-ROM drive and restart
your computer it should start up with the Ubuntu start menu instead of
Windows ... assuming you have a computer which CAN boot from a CD or
DVD-ROM disk. Most computers these days can do so.

If you have any further questions just ask.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com

Old 12-11-2008, 05:35 AM
"jacobo smeke"

hi,
i wonder if you can help me out with this problem.
the thing is that i have a mac g3, it crashed so i wanted to install kubuntu.
put the cd and it didnt worked, so i took the hard drive disk, and
formated on a xp machine, then i installed kubuntu and it worked
perfectly. then i took the disk and connected it on the mac, but im
still having the same problem.

when i turn on the computer, it goes to a grey background and shows an
icon with a question mark, the icon is like the finder face. then it
show some text that says "to continue booting, type mac-boot the prees
return.

to shut down, type shut-down press return".
i cant get into kubuntu, i searched the problem and i found that is the pram, and i reset it and in didnt work either.

could you help me with this????

thank you

i would wait for your answers
--