Old 05-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Sven Joachim

Default aptitude install less verbose

On 2008-05-15 11:32 +0200, Roland JARRY wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm trying to make aptitude less verbose in command line for
> installation of new packages. I would like it don't display the long
> list of packages upgradable (because actually not upgraded on the
> system).
> I've tried a lot of options, but without success...
> The purpose is to obtain cfengine logs less verbose when I install new
> packages on the clients.

This was (supposed to be) fixed in aptitude 0.4.11, according to the
NEWS file:

,----
| * At the command-line prompt, don't list packages that aren't
| being upgraded unless the user tried to upgrade them. e.g.,
| "aptitude install foo" will no longer spew the entire list of
| pending upgrades to the terminal.
`----

If you're running Etch and don't want to upgrade (because that would
involve upgrading apt, libc6 etc. as well), one possibility is to keep
your system up to date regularly, then the list of not upgraded packages
will be short (or even empty).

Sven