Old 05-15-2008, 10:13 AM
jamie griffin

Default Intel pro-wireless wlan not starting automatically

Hi everyone

I'm using sidux nyx and have posted on the forum there but haven't had
much response so i'm wondering if someone here might be able to help.

I configured my wlan card this evening. Although, it needs to be
activated manually each time i start up
the machine.

I'm using a Dell xps 1330 laptop with an intel pro-wireless networkcard.

output from lspci:

Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network
Connection (rev 02)

I configured it using 'ceni' and followed the instructions from the sidux
manual.

I read the same problem in an earlier thread, using the same network card
as me. The solution there seemed to be editing /etc/network/interfaces. I
think i have the correct entries in the file and i'm now stuck. Heres the
contents of /etc/network/interfaces:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-essid **********
wireless-key ***********

Also, not sure if it's useful, but i did 'dmesg | grep wlan' which shows:

~$ dmesg | grep wlan
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

When i was using OpenSUSE, my wireless connection was configured
using eth1, not wlan0 and the wifi light would come on. Should i try
configuring eth1 rather than wlan0 and if so would you be able to explain
how to do that.

I'd be really grateful for some advice.

Jamie

Old 05-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Ross Boylan

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 11:13 +0100, jamie griffin wrote:
> Hi everyone
>

> I'm using sidux nyx and have posted on the forum there but haven't had
> much response so i'm wondering if someone here might be able to help.
>

> I configured my wlan card this evening. Although, it needs to be
> activated manually each time i start up
> the machine.
>
> I'm using a Dell xps 1330 laptop with an intel pro-wireless networkcard.
>
> output from lspci:
>
> Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network
> Connection (rev 02)

I'm not sure if this is the cause of your troubles, but you should be
aware that there are problems getting this (and related) cards to work.
See http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=461924.

Supposedly the 2.6.25 kernels in Debian have a fix (the problem may not
have been in the microcode). However, I'm still having connection
problems with a 4965 even after switching kernels.

Ross Boylan

Old 05-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Jamie Griffin

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 03:45:39PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 11:13 +0100, jamie griffin wrote:
> > Hi everyone
> >

> > I'm using sidux nyx and have posted on the forum there but haven't had
> > much response so i'm wondering if someone here might be able to help.
> >

> > I configured my wlan card this evening. Although, it needs to be
> > activated manually each time i start up
> > the machine.
> >
> > I'm using a Dell xps 1330 laptop with an intel pro-wireless networkcard.
> >
> > output from lspci:
> >
> > Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network
> > Connection (rev 02)
> >
> I'm not sure if this is the cause of your troubles, but you should be
> aware that there are problems getting this (and related) cards to work.
> See http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=461924.
>
> Supposedly the 2.6.25 kernels in Debian have a fix (the problem may not
> have been in the microcode). However, I'm still having connection
> problems with a 4965 even after switching kernels.
>
> Ross Boylan
Hi Ross

I've managed to get it working.

I re-ran "ceni" and selected "wpa_supplicant" and "auto", rather than
the default options "wireless-tools" and "allow-hotplug". Of course, these
options can be added to /etc/network/interfaces anyway, but i didn't
have a need to do that - it just worked fine.

Jamie