Old 05-15-2008, 01:25 AM
"John Fleming"

Default update-grub problem

I'm trying to install linux-image-2.6.18-6-686 using apt-get. I recently
made the recommended change in /etc/kernel-img.conf to include:

postinst_hook = usr/sbin/update-grub
postrm_hook = usr/sbin/update-grub

When I run the apt-get install...., the configuration fails with the error
about

"Could not find postinst hook script [usr/sbin/update-grub]."

However, that script DOES exist in the stated path. So what gives with
this?

Thanks any help! - John

Old 05-15-2008, 01:48 AM
Mike Bird

On Wed May 14 2008 18:43:14 John Fleming wrote:
> I'm trying to install linux-image-2.6.18-6-686 using apt-get. I recently
> made the recommended change in /etc/kernel-img.conf to include:
>
> postinst_hook = usr/sbin/update-grub
> postrm_hook = usr/sbin/update-grub
>
> When I run the apt-get install...., the configuration fails with the error
> about
> "Could not find postinst hook script [usr/sbin/update-grub]."
>
> However, that script DOES exist in the stated path. So what gives with
> this?
>
> Thanks any help! - John

I'm wondering if you need a / before the usr.

--Mike Bird

Old 05-15-2008, 01:50 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 09:43:14PM -0400, John Fleming wrote:
> I'm trying to install linux-image-2.6.18-6-686 using apt-get. I recently
> made the recommended change in /etc/kernel-img.conf to include:
>
> postinst_hook = usr/sbin/update-grub
> postrm_hook = usr/sbin/update-grub
>
> When I run the apt-get install...., the configuration fails with the error
> about
> "Could not find postinst hook script [usr/sbin/update-grub]."
>
> However, that script DOES exist in the stated path. So what gives with
> this?

What is the current working directory when this script gets run. You
told it
usr/sbin/update-grub

not
/usr/sbin/update-grub

Note the difference.

I still don't know why this is necessary. During the most recent kernel
upgrade in Etch, I watched carefully for the usual warning message about
not running /sbin/update-grub and didn't see it.

Doug.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:58 AM
"Damon L. Chesser"

John Fleming wrote:
I'm trying to install linux-image-2.6.18-6-686 using apt-get. I
recently made the recommended change in /etc/kernel-img.conf to include:

postinst_hook = usr/sbin/update-grub
postrm_hook = usr/sbin/update-grub

When I run the apt-get install...., the configuration fails with the
error about

"Could not find postinst hook script [usr/sbin/update-grub]."

However, that script DOES exist in the stated path. So what gives
with this?

Thanks any help! - John

Not a solution, but I always wondered about that. Why are we being
tasked with it and not the install scripts?

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 05-15-2008, 01:59 AM
"John Fleming"

What is the current working directory when this script gets run. You
told it
usr/sbin/update-grub

not
/usr/sbin/update-grub

Note the difference.

I still don't know why this is necessary. During the most recent kernel
upgrade in Etch, I watched carefully for the usual warning message about
not running /sbin/update-grub and didn't see it.

Doug.

DUH! How can we miss something like that once in awhile? Thanks Doung and
Mike - Adding the preceding slash fixed that problem, but brings out another
problem I have that belongs in another thread. Please see my next post
about I/O error reading swsusp image. I only get the error running
2.6.18-6-686 but not 2.6.18-4-686.

- John

Old 05-15-2008, 03:12 AM
John Hasler

> However, that script DOES exist in the stated path. So what gives with
> this?

That path ("usr/sbin/update-grub") is relative to the current directory of
the process using it. You probably want "/usr/sbin/update-grub".
--
John Hasler