Old 05-14-2008, 08:33 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

Default how to get a printer to work??

charliesdad wrote:

I have etch. After 4 months I still can't get the printer to work. It is
a HP DeskJet 722C. I have installed pnm2ppa from disk 9. I use gnome and
had it print a test page. The printer started, printed one funny
character and hung. I went to /etc and set up the values in the config
file. It now dies with a rasterto ... error.

I don't want to install source code and anything else other than just
PRINT! How do I do it?

Thanks,

Bob

ahh, we need some info. HOW are you connected to this printer?

http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-DeskJet_722C

from that site, we see this:

HP DeskJet 722C <http://www.hp.com/cposupport/eschome.html>
Color inkjet printer, max. 600x600 dpi, works Perfectly

and we see this:

Edited Notes

PPA printer, does not work with PCL drivers (as "hpijs", "gimp-print",
"cdjXXX", "pcl3", ...)

The "Cse" and "Cxi" are probably the same hardware but shipped with
different Windows toys.

at this point we are at a full stop. We don't know how you are
connected. We don't know what you are trying. We don't know what you
have tried. We don't know what error logs are reporting. Give us some
useful information.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 05-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Alan Ianson

On Wed May 14 2008 01:01:28 pm charliesdad wrote:
> I have etch. After 4 months I still can't get the printer to work. It is
> a HP DeskJet 722C. I have installed pnm2ppa from disk 9. I use gnome and
> had it print a test page. The printer started, printed one funny
> character and hung. I went to /etc and set up the values in the config
> file. It now dies with a rasterto ... error.
>
> I don't want to install source code and anything else other than just
> PRINT! How do I do it?

The way I install my printer is to enter localhost:631 in my browser and set
it up there. It'll probably be self explanatory on that page. Once you get it
installed you'll need to log out of your session and log back in again.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:18 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 01:36:25PM -0700, Alan Ianson wrote:
> On Wed May 14 2008 01:01:28 pm charliesdad wrote:
> > I have etch. After 4 months I still can't get the printer to work. It is
> > a HP DeskJet 722C. I have installed pnm2ppa from disk 9. I use gnome and
> > had it print a test page. The printer started, printed one funny
> > character and hung. I went to /etc and set up the values in the config
> > file. It now dies with a rasterto ... error.
> >
> > I don't want to install source code and anything else other than just
> > PRINT! How do I do it?
>
> The way I install my printer is to enter localhost:631 in my browser and set
> it up there. It'll probably be self explanatory on that page. Once you get it
> installed you'll need to log out of your session and log back in again.

That of course assumes that the OP is using CUPS as a spooler and print
filter.

Doug.