Old 05-14-2008, 04:42 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

Default difficulties updating Etch

I'm having trouble updating Etch:

I get various errors during the update phase of aptitude. Sometimes its
just "some files failed to download"; I guess it timed out or something.
I'm on dialup. How to prevent absolute timeouts but allow (encourage)
aptitude to re-issue requests.

Sometimes I get gpg errors.

Last time, I get "Bizarre Error: file size not what the server
reported".

I'm using the same mirror I always have: ftp3.nrc.ca

I'll keep trying.

Doug.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:23 AM
Jaime Tarrant

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

I'm having trouble updating Etch:

I get various errors during the update phase of aptitude. Sometimes its
just "some files failed to download"; I guess it timed out or something.
I'm on dialup. How to prevent absolute timeouts but allow (encourage)
aptitude to re-issue requests.

Sometimes I get gpg errors.

Last time, I get "Bizarre Error: file size not what the server
reported".

I'm using the same mirror I always have: ftp3.nrc.ca

I'll keep trying.

Doug.

I'm not 100% sure - but I think the most common cause of the 'Bizzare'
apt message is that the mirror itself is being updated, thus the issue
should go away by itself after the process completes. What I believe
happens is that there is a file that contains all the file sizes that
apt references (cant remember its name) and during the update process
the file sizes don't match the updated files, thus apt throws an error
until everything is in sync again.

If you have a look at the root of the mirror, there might be something like:

Archive-Update-in-Progress-mirror.pacific.net.au

as file. atleast thats what mirror.pacific.net.au does.

I have had the apt issue once with mirror.pacific.net.au - however not
for quite a while since.

Jaime

Old 05-15-2008, 07:39 AM
"Mumia W.."