Old 05-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Preston Boyington

Default difficulties updating Etch

Daniel Burrows wrote:

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 07:31:21AM -0500, Preston Boyington <preston.lists@gmail.com> was heard to say:

actually you can do:

apt-get <install or dist-upgrade> --dry-run

and it will show you exactly what will happen. since i have started
using aptitude for my package manager i now try to use:

aptitude --simulate install foo

of course all this is done with the 'sudo' command.

There's no need to run "aptitude -s" as a superuser, and I would
recommend against it in order to avoid accidental slipups...

whoops, i meant all _installs_ done with the sudo command. i got ahead
of myself.